new child tax credits for 2012!!!!!

OMG! I can't believe how much childcare costs there. To be working fulltime and not be able to afford it is insane. Even working fulltime here on minimum wage, you would expect childcare to cost around a 3rd of that income. Not the whole bloody lot!

OMG! I can't believe how much childcare costs there. To be working fulltime and not be able to afford it is insane. Even working fulltime here on minimum wage, you would expect childcare to cost around a 3rd of that income. Not the whole bloody lot!

Yep, pretty much your whole income for just 1 child, how on earth do we afford it with 2 or more children??!! No wonder so many families in this country don't work when they're better off not working at all.

i won't be able to go back to work as when the child benefit changes happen we won't get any and nursery will then be more than my income as we were only in credit by child benefit :(

See, this is terrible! I would love to go back to work, but like you, childcare would basically take up my entire salary, so there is no point!

I worked out with childcare costs we would be £30 a week worse off if I went back to work full time, the Government want us all in jobs but who wants to work to pay childcare costs with their whole wage and not see their LOs for hourse every day into the bargain?! :dohh:

I didnt realise how much childcare costs vary across the country!! We pay £578 a month and thats for 8am-6pm Tues-Fri and includes 3 meals a day. I was furious today as we got a letter saying fees are going up and that as of Januray, it will be £595 a month. Reading about these costs on here, I am starting to feel a little bit better. Only slightly though as I still think its expensive.

We are fortunate as both mine and OH's employer is part of the Childcare Voucher scheme so we have both used that for £243 a month each and we save quite a lot on tax/student loans etc this way. Its great to have an alternative way to save money on childcare for people who don't qualify for any kind of help from the government.

x

I love that we are having a proper discussion on what is quite a touchy subject. Really enjoying listening to everyone's opinions!

Well said :flower: x

We're like proper grownups! :thumbup:

Out of interest what are the going rates for childcare where everyone is?

It's about £40 a day where I am :flower:

Before I went on Maternity leave I'd make £50 if I did a 9 hour shift at work, once you take out lunch hour. So for a day I'd earn £10 :growlmad: and most of my shifts were 6 hours which is £36.20 :dohh: but I'd still need a full day's childcare... so I'd be minus £2.80 a day... Makes sense :thumbup:

A full time nursery place near me is £275 a week. Hubby takes home £270 per week after tax so our decision is easy!

Even a full time childminder place is about £200 per week, so he would be working for £70 a week after paying childcare. That's why we decided that he would give up work, and then just get a couple of shifts at a local pub every week for cash in hand (shhh!!) It's just the best option we have. The government won't get their taxes that way, but it's their fault for putting us in this situation!

1500 for one child to go full time in the only nursery I can physically get my child to (so basically the local monopoly)

if I had two children in then that would be 3000 per month for 2 full time places in childcare.

as previously stated, to earn that kind of money you need to be on 50K.

the government need to subsidize childcare or do something to make it worthwhile for parents to go back to work and contribute to society

jeeeeeze! thats insane!

I am deliberately working 2 long days so I only have to put LO into the nursery twice. Insanely expensive other whys!

When I had my eldest I didnt qualify for SMP (I was part time and at college) and I got IS (only time I EVER claimed it) and when returning to work I had to have a meeting at the job centre, and the lady there told me I would be better off leaving my employment and going on full benefits!!! I didnt I went back to work, but its so easy for people to give work up especially when they are told thes!

I rely on WTC to work, and when I go back in January I will rely on the childcare part to help also, but I totally agree, if people can sit at home all day, producing more and more kids whilst never working getting all benefits you can imagine then I am not going to feel bad for taking tax credits to help me carry on working, Not only am I contributing my taxes and NI, but I am also providfing a much needed service in my community. If I waited until I could afford my kids i would never have them, but I could have also taken the easy option and stayed home all day with them and let all you hard working mums struggling pay for my luxurious lifestyle!

They need to cut the money going to people who can work but dont, not the ones who cant work or do work but need support!!

My sister has 5 kids, hasnt worked in over 10 years (well her eldest is 13 now she hasnt worked since then!), she gets over £200 a week in CTC, over £60 a week in child benefit, almost £70 a week in IS, AND £60 a week in child maintainance!!, plus they pay her rent and council tax.... and she is skint and hard done by, whilst sat watching her 50" flat screen TV down stairs, or her 40" 3D TV upstairs, tapping away on one of 3 laptops...... they are taking the money from the wrong people!!

OK, so the nursery where I will send my LO is £87-£108 per day. (£100 sign up fee which is ridiculous!) However (luckily) as I work for the NHS its reduced to £39.25 per day, my husband gets child care vouchers, don't really understand them, I think it means we don't pay tax on the childcare? I haven't yet looked into it, but apparently it saves money and can be used in conjunction with my discount.

Can someone explain childcare vouchers to me please lol!

im a student midwife at the moment so i get most of my childcare paid for by the NHS bursaries - i did read though, before i became a student, that the NHS helps out with childcare, but i cant find anything about it. do they help anyone who works in the NHS and do they pay for a certain percentage? thanks :flower:

most hospitals have discounted nursuries on site only nhs can use :)

A lot of the amount needed to live on depends on the area you live. My not particuly big 3 bed house here costs the same as a large 5 bed house in huddersfield (just as an example I just kept clinking on a right move map).

If you think about it the childcare costs reflect the cost of living in the area. The people looking after your child have to earn a living too.

My childcare will cost about £10,000 a year (we can both get childcare vouchers so will save about £1,500 in tax). At this age they need to be in a 3:1 ratio. That means it takes 2 children to pay the the adult looking after them.

My morgage and childcare will be our biggest outgoings. We earn £50k between us but after an over £900 a month morgage payment it didn't leave a lot pre-baby. We don't eat out a lot (and normally on clubcard vouchers) and last had a holiday 2 years ago (it was our honeymoon, paid for as a wedding presents by my inlaws) so we don't live the luxary lifestyle.

The last I checked, having a child was about love not a business transaction, or business plan, so when people base having a family on how much money they do or don't make the same they do with getting married?? it causes me to raise the question is it more about self-image and selfishness rather than love????? Furthermore, I don't think anyone realistically with common sense, sets themselves up to fall into hard times.............but life happens!!!! and if you are working and paying taxes to the city,state you work in, it's only right that they do provide incentives to help hard working parents support their homes....that's what you're paying taxes for.

So before people with the financial where-with-all(The Wealthy that is!!!) that are able to give their kids things that some hard working parents are not able too, you have to know what it feels like to live from paycheck to paycheck.....yet love for your kids rule!!!!!The days of financial security, and so-called middle-class has come to an end!!!!!! There is no job-security!!!!! If you work, have a family because you believe in and love kids.....The Lord will do the rest!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::baby::crib:

The last I checked, having a child was about love not a business transaction, or business plan, so when people base having a family on how much money they do or don't make the same they do with getting married?? it causes me to raise the question is it more about self-image and selfishness rather than love????? Furthermore, I don't think anyone realistically with common sense, sets themselves up to fall into hard times.............but life happens!!!! and if you are working and paying taxes to the city,state you work in, it's only right that they do provide incentives to help hard working parents support their homes....that's what you're paying taxes for.

So before people with the financial where-with-all(The Wealthy that is!!!) that are able to give their kids things that some hard working parents are not able too, you have to know what it feels like to live from paycheck to paycheck.....yet love for your kids rule!!!!!The days of financial security, and so-called middle-class has come to an end!!!!!! There is no job-security!!!!! If you work, have a family because you believe in and love kids.....The Lord will do the rest!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::baby::crib:
This thread is over a year old :wacko:

I'm probably going to be viewed as a bitch for saying this, but why have a child if you know you can't afford to support them without benefits?

I waited until I was in a financially stable position to have a baby, that meant I had to wait til I was 29. I hated waiting, but imo it was the right thing to do. I couldn't have afforded a baby before then.

Flame me down now!

Totally agree and that was always my intention. Unfortunately when I was 20 I was told by a top UK gynaecologist I was infertile. Despite this I continued to use contraception but fell pregnant at 23, it was the best day of my life followed by Charlottes birth. Now, Im not in the worst financial situation but i could certainly do with the help as I'm not in the best either. I have worked hard and paid tax & NI since I was 16, the government changing the guidelines means that my partner an I will be tight for money despite us both being hardworking, honest individuals. Add to the fact I was made redundant at 25 weeks pregnant, the help would go far.

My point is that sometimes we can't always plan these things, it's quite harsh to assume that we all can. Trust me, if I could have planned it then it would have been my priority to ensure my LO entered the world to the perfect family, that was financially stable. But for now I will have to scrimp, save and probably end my mat leave early to ensure that my baby girl can have the best start to life she can. Please don't take this as a dig or anything, I would have done it your way if I could, but sadly the best laid plans don't always come to light. :)

X

BUMP

I guess this thread is relevant again this week now that child benefit is being stopped for those earning over £60,000 (I think? not sure if its based on dual or individual income?)

I agree that the government needs to make cuts and rob Peter to pay Paul, so to speak. I do genuinely believe that if you are a high earner, then what the F do you need extra benefits for? Really doesn't help when Sky news has a video on there interviewing a mother whose household income is high and she will be losing her child benefit now.

She actually said she was pissed off to the highest degree and wouldnt cope yada yada and then proceeded to say that the child benefit she always received went into a trust fund for her kid?? and what on earth was she going to do now that it has stopped?. See, this is why I don't have any sympathy. Other Mums struggle to put food on the table and those benefit payouts every month is actually spent on things like formula, nappies, food and bills and that idiot woman is ticked off because she will no longer have money coming in for her child's trust fund?? If only all of us had so much money to put by for our children's future! Jeez, even when I was working full time I wouldn't have been able to 'put money aside' for my child's trust fund. Just proves that she doesn't even need the money!

To a previous poster whittling on about planning for a baby and not having time for people who have no money when they have one etc etc. Bit of a sweeping statement and a bit childish considering the manner in which many babies come into this world? it is so variable, how the hell can you plan to be 'financially stable'? before having a kid. I am 39, worked all my life in the education industry, earned a really good wage, had a great career. Was told by three different doctors that I couldn't actually have children and accidentally got pregnant at 39. My partner then decided to leave me and I have now had to give up my job because it involves traveling all across the country and staying in hotels, which I cannot do with a small child. So, I am going back to uni, getting much higher qualified to then earn more money to provide for my child in the future. In the meantime I am on benefits. Personally, I believe benefits should be there and available for people in these sorts of situations, I see it as a way to get by before I better myself and get working again. Its not for wealthy people to have a bit more pocket money every month and its also not for immigrants fleecing the system nor is it for people who wish to breed like rabbits and actually use children to avoid work and earn a living by getting pregnant many times, on purpose.

rant over

It's on individual income, if one person earns over £50,000 it starts going down (you must repay 1% of the child benefit per £100 you earn over £50,000) so once you are earning £60,000 you don't get any. but if you and OH earn £49,000 each so £98,000 between you, you still get all of it.

I pay a lot in tax and I don't earn a massive amount as I'm a nurse working for the NHS and my job is exhausting with ridiculous hours, makes me throw a strop some months!! Husband though who's on about £70'000 a year gets absolutely battered with tax!

I know he must get taxed an insane amount but £70,000 ! :shock:

That's mental :haha: We live on a very max of £20,000 a year before tax. We'd have to work for 4 years to get the same amount!

my OH is the same and believe me it is a LOT in tax money. People just live to their means so we have a higher mortgage than say someone who earns half that amount. We aren't any 'richer' for him earning that much.

My friends and family think we are loaded but we are soo not haha

This thread is over a year old :wacko:

:rofl: This damn thread scared the crap out of me!! :haha: I'm in the US and I though for a second (reading the OP's post without looking at the date or what country she was talking about) that she was talking about the US end of year federal tax returns :rofl:

Ok, I can relax now, just somebody showing up out of nowhere to get up on a freekin soapbox :wacko:

for those with partners earning 70 000 your partner will still have a take home pay of around £47 000!!! Yes, its a lot of tax but still plenty to live off! I do appreciate that its all relative but you will have a far better standard of living and have many more choices like where to live, food to eat etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->