New guidlines from NHS??? Apparently at 39 I'm over the hill!

Brunette Boo

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm 39 & we've been trying for 15 months now so nipped to the doctors to see if we could discuss fertility treatment & enquire about waiting lists. We were thinking IUI.

We were told that the guidelines have changed and that everyone now has to try for 2 years before NHS does anything. I was also told that I was, & I quote "over the hill".

Are they allowed to say this? I didn't think that 39 was too old to have a baby. I'm so upset but I'm fighting back the tears because I'm at work.

:cry:

I think I'd be treated a lot nicer going private.

Jeez your GP sound really insensitive!! Wouldn't go private, would just switch Dr's :)
Good luck.

Hi!

I am shocked that your doc said that! I got pregnant aged 39 on my 20th cycle of trying. It can take some of us ladies a little longer to get pregnant, but it is definitely possible. Did your doc mention whether the new guidelines include fertility testing (blood tests, HSG etc) as well as treatment?

I would however recommend that you go private if you can. We initially went NHS and it was really stressful (and cr*p). The month I got pregnant was when we decided to go private.

Thanks to you both. My Dr is not sensitive to my situation at all and I'm definately going to change surgerys now.

She has just called me saying that although it's now a 2 year wait, as the cut off age for NHS is 39 years & 6 months she's going to refer us now. Good news I guess but it doesn't mean that we'll be accepted. I have to do 1 more blood test for progesterone??? levels but I'm too late for this cycle now .

God, I hope I'm pregnant this month already. That'll save a lot of hassle. I still think going private is the best option.

She didn't say that 2 years is the minimum for blood tests etc.. Luckily I had a blood test in June before all of this 2 years nonsense.

If I hear anything else, will post it on here.

xx

Hi, im a midwife and i know that the guidelines used by nhs hospitals are Nice guidelines (national institute for clinical excellence) For fertility guidelines you need to google CG 11. This states that after 1 yr of trying couples should be offered further investigation and women over 35 should be offered sooner.

The 2 yr wait is for starting treatment in nhs once testing is done. Once you have kids you can't have nhs treatment for iui so we went private. Cost varies but is usually less than £1000 for iui, scans and trigger shot. We had all testing done first on nhs (otherwise very expensive) its so much quicker going private if you can afford it. we were seen on the weds, trigger on the Sunday and iui Monday. That was last Monday.

Good luck and hopefully this is your month :dust:

After blood tests and an ultrasound I was told by a locum gp to wait another 2 years. Saw my normal dr and she said it was rubbish and referred us to a hospital (now waiting on results for blood tests and SA again and HSG). Seems to depend a lot on who you talk to. Good luck!

ps I'm 35.

Sorry to interfere but do u know if triggers can be given along clomid or obs can refer to FS with pcos n secondary infertility

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->