New hardwood floor stain and the smell

junbait

Reaction score
So we refinished our floors last week and the final coat of the finish was put in Saturday. We left the doors and windows open to air out the house for two days and came home to sleep yesterday evening. I could still smell the stain/finish very faintly last night and DH could smell it this morning, so we have left the doors and windows open again today. My question is, is the smell due to fumes or would the fumes have cleared out during the two days we left everything open to air out. Would just a faint smell be harmful to the fetus?

It takes awhile for fumes like those to go away. As long as you air out the house while there or don't spend all day closed up with the smell I think you are fine. It would probably be worse for you before baby is harmed in any way. Might make you dizzy or nauseous. If you start to feel ill get some fresh air for a few minutes. The fumes might be lingering due to the smell getting into fabrics etc.

You should vacate for 3 days but it will take 2-3 weeks for the smell to actually dissipate. We just did this as well a month and a half ago. I can still smell it (it's my sons room only though).

I read that the oil stains are the bad ones. I had to do research because we just remodeled a rental property. And chose to refinish the hard wood flooring. If it is water base you should be fine. But still keep airing it out for sure!

Thanks for all the replies ladies. We did stay away for 3 days and we have been airing out the house everyday since we came back on Monday. The smell is going down and it was definitely way better now.

We used the oil base because we were told it lasted much longer than the water based.

I'm going to run all the clothes thru the dryer with some dryer sheets to get them smelling fresh again. That should help, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->