new job and pregnant, bad reaction from company help

jessrose24

Reaction score
Hello Ladies.

i am trying not to stress but am stressing if you get me. I recently left my job but a week before starting my new one i found out i was expecting my first baby and my OH and me are so happy. But i had to tell my new job so early as the working hours clashed with my booking appointment.

I really worried as their reaction was 'OH SHIT' which made me feel really bad for getting pregnant, even though its what my OH and i wanted. I'm unsure what to do. It isn't a great Job. I've now lost out on MP from my other job and if i try and get another job it really be so hard.

not sure what to do help !!

I would have just told them that you had an important doctor's appointment. At 5 weeks, no job really needs to know that you're pregnant (even if you were to switch to a new job) unless you're actually leaving the company. Even then, they wouldn't necessarily need to know why. I'm sorry that you dealt with a bad reaction, I'm any case. If you do end up changing jobs, then I would consider keeping the info to yourself until much further along if possible.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on the baby. :D

Start the new job and take the maternity pay!!! If it's really awful, you can find something different later. It's a shame they reacted badly but they can't discriminate against you for being pregnant, even if the timing is inconvenient for them. We have a strange culture in the uk where we feel like somehow having children is a personal indulgence that is keeping us from more important work. But that's so backwards! You work to live, not the other way around. So don't for a second feel bad about your pregnancy, it is a way more important part of your life than any job could be. They're paying you to do a job, they don't own you.

Start the new job and take the maternity pay!!! If it's really awful, you can find something different later. It's a shame they reacted badly but they can't discriminate against you for being pregnant, even if the timing is inconvenient for them. We have a strange culture in the uk where we feel like somehow having children is a personal indulgence that is keeping us from more important work. But that's so backwards! You work to live, not the other way around. So don't for a second feel bad about your pregnancy, it is a way more important part of your life than any job could be. They're paying you to do a job, they don't own you.

she said sorry to me today that she reacted badly and that she spoke to the rest of the management team and that it would be ok i believe but unfortunately i wont get MP pay but hey ho will see how ti goes for a couple of months

I would have just told them that you had an important doctor's appointment. At 5 weeks, no job really needs to know that you're pregnant (even if you were to switch to a new job) unless you're actually leaving the company. Even then, they wouldn't necessarily need to know why. I'm sorry that you dealt with a bad reaction, I'm any case. If you do end up changing jobs, then I would consider keeping the info to yourself until much further along if possible.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on the baby. :D

i didnt have to tell them but felt that being honest was best, i said ti was very early days and that anything could happen she understood, also as its quite a manual job letting them know early means i am protected by health and safety.

You wouldn't get maternity pay from any new job now. You have to have been employed for 26 weeks before the 15th week the baby is due (which is 41 weeks in total basically).
Its a shame its bad timing for you but I'd just stick it out as finding a new job could be even more stressful!

You wouldn't get maternity pay from any new job now. You have to have been employed for 26 weeks before the 15th week the baby is due (which is 41 weeks in total basically).
Its a shame its bad timing for you but I'd just stick it out as finding a new job could be even more stressful!

im not worried about the maternity pay it was more their reaction. As I've only just started its not a great first impression to say im pregnant they automatically think oh she leaving in 7 or so months. i wanted to tell them later but i was just honest when they asked. im still in the probationary period so at the end they could find a reason for me to leave. Which im more worried about

at least they apologized to you hopefully it will all end up working out

I'm self employed so won't be able to claim maternity pay but I will be able to get maternity allowance. You should look into that. It's basically the same as maternity pay, you can claim it so long as you are/have been working. If you look on the gov.uk website there's info on it there.

Sorry your employers reaction was so crappy. It's a risk telling them this early, although it's entirely your decision whether to or not. Hopefully they'll do the decent thing and not discriminate. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->