New job - start date/maternity leave negotition?

Kiss08

Reaction score
The terms of my new 4-day per week job is stressing me out and I need some input. For some context: I am moving across the US (Utah to Ohio) July 30th, my EDD is Sept 13th, and this new job (which is the place I actually worked at last year) is a training position that as advertised as year-long position with the possibility of staying on for two years (max). It is also at a University so the "year" starts with the school year at the end of August.

My current terms include: start Aug 12, work until baby comes (~one month), take 6 weeks off unpaid (so go back late October), and my benefits would kick in Oct 1st. I'm considering asking for a change but not sure what option I want to go for.

Option A: start Aug 1st, work until baby comes, take 8 weeks off unpaid (so start back early to mid Nov), and benefits would start Sept 1st (hopefully in time for birth as the health insurance would cover 100% vs my current insurance paying 80%).

Option B: start Nov 1st (not work before baby, have 6 weeks home with baby), and benefits start Dec 1st.

Option C: start Jan 6th/beginning of spring semester (not work before baby, have 3.5 months home with baby), and benefits start March 1st. (About $5000-7000 income/benefits loss).

I don't know how flexible they'll be (my new boss doesn't have kids) but I'm trying to figure out what to even ask for. Regardless of my leave time, I'll wait to put baby in daycare until January (she should be about 3.5 months then) and plan for my husband and I to flex our work schedules and have family fill in the gaps through the end of December.

Any thoughts?

I can tell you from exprience only a month of is very very hard. Not only on baby but on you. I went back at 4 weeks , and I wasn't fully healed baby usually isn't sleepin through the night yet and you miss out on alot of bonding time .

I think option A or C would be the best. 8 weeks off is better than 4 or6, but it might still be hard to leave. I tried and ended up extending my leave for 4 more months. IF the income loss from option C wouldn't be horrible, than that may be your best bet especially since its your first baby. If you were able to work before baby, than have 3 months off (12 weeks) I think would be ideal. :flower:

If you can afford option C, I personally would go for that.
I'm having 13 months off, with the last 3 months being unpaid. Although it may be a struggle, I will never get that time back with my baby.

If option C is financially feasible, I would go for that.

I agree that option C is best if you can swing it. You and your baby will get bonding time, plus you'll be healed physically, the baby will (hopefully) be sleeping better, and you'll be better prepared to jump in to your job with both feet.

I'm talking to my boss tomorrow (Friday). Asking for option C but will negotiate down to option A if necessary. I'll update with how it goes. I'm talking to her at 3 pm eastern time - send some positive vibes my way!! :)

So I talked to my boss about start date/maternity leave. I asked to start in January and she said "Yeah.. that's won't work." So I asked to start earlier and get 8 weeks off. Her initial response was, "I know 6 weeks sounds like not that much time at home but it's a long time at the center.. and 8 weeks just sounds like an eternity." She asked if I would split the difference and take 7 weeks. I offered to work one day the 7th week and 1-2 days the 8th week and then start back full-time the 9th week. She said that works for her. Sooooo I got more than six weeks (sort of) and I found out my mat leave is paid which I wasn't expecting. Not exactly what I was hoping for but better than I started out with.

Glad you were able to work something out! And easing back into working the way you have it set up is a great idea. Good negotiation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->