new to breastfeeding. ..engorgement.

Totally normal :) Try not to pump too much just enough to take away the pain, as the more you pump the more you will produce. Your breasts will regulate soon. Good Luck x

As the PP said, pumping will only stimulate your boobs to produce more. I would really advise you to get back to nursing exclusively and just offering the breast whenever you start to feel engorged. If your LO doesn't want to feed then hand express enough to make you comfortable.

Engorgement suuucks and the first few weeks are really tricky, but pumping will only complicate things. Your baby is actually much better at draining the breast than a pump, so as you're signaling more milk production, you're also not draining it as effectively.

As others have said stop the pumping you will make the engorgement worse.

If it is really uncomfortable or baby can't latch then express a little off. Supply will then adjust to the babies needs and your breast should settle down.

I started exclusively pumping around the same time of 4 days due to latching issues. Originally I pumped when I felt uncomfortably full, then a couple days later I pumped every 2-3 hours. The pain disappeared within a week or two.

If you can manage to get back to nursing then go for it, as you'll have more freedom (even if it might not feel ike it). If not then you'll need to prepare for a challenging journey as it can be tricky (though not impossible) to balance a pumping routine around a newborn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->