New to cloth questions

mum 2 three

2boys and 1 lil princess
Reaction score
Hi ladies I'm new to cloth so a bit clueless I've bought about ten pre loved nappies and am going to collect another 15 tomorrow of a very nice ladie on netmums just have a few questions before I get started and to make sure I have everything

1 what do I do with the poo when she has one do I try get as much off as I can or do I just out ut in the bucket and leave it untill washing

2 what's the best way to wash them do I use my normal soap Powder I use bold

3 all the nappies have inserts but can I get like a liner to line the nappie with so it dosnt get stained with poo

4 I've seen a strip wash mentioned a few times how often do I need to do this and what do I use to do it

Hi ladies I'm new to cloth so a bit clueless I've bought about ten pre loved nappies and am going to collect another 15 tomorrow of a very nice ladie on netmums just have a few questions before I get started and to make sure I have everything

1 what do I do with the poo when she has one do I try get as much off as I can or do I just out ut in the bucket and leave it untill washing

Either use a liner so it catches most of the poo- you can get sposie ones or cloth ones, or just poop in the nappy (can cause more stains!) rinse if its runny/ down the loo if solid and chuck in the bucket ready for washing

2 what's the best way to wash them do I use my normal soap Powder I use bold
Normal wash with a small amount of detergent!

3 all the nappies have inserts but can I get like a liner to line the nappie with so it dosnt get stained with poo
Yup! you can get paper flushable ones so you can throw them down the loo, or you can buy premade fleece ones- or get a thin fleece blanket and cut rectangles out of it yourself for liners:)

4 I've seen a strip wash mentioned a few times how often do I need to do this and what do I use to do it
Haven't had to a strip wash yet after 4 months of LO in cloth. Only need to do it if you notice after washing they still smell of pee. Usually happens because of a build up of detergent in the nappies so its key not to use too much of it whilst washing

Hope that helps :flower: x

Yup I use flushable liners and they make life a lot easier when it comes to poo! Especially now that Emma is weaning and the poo is solid. They also protect the nappy if you have to use any cream on baby's bottom (cream can affect the absorbency).

When washing use 1/4 to 1/2 of the recommended amount of detergent. I know a lot of ladies here use regular detergent but I use a free and clear one as personally I don't like the idea of the perfume. A biological detergent may also destroy the elastic and PUL after time (although I know a lot of ladies here have had no problems). Non-bio Ecover and Bio-D Laundry liquid are both pretty good.

When you wash, do some extra rinses at the end of the cycle so you can make sure all of the detergent is out. As the PP said it's detergent build up that makes nappies smelly! When Emma's nappies needed a strip wash they stunk (STUNK!!!!) of cabbages!!! There are a lot of ways to successfully strip wash but this worked for me: One hot wash with a tablespoon of Fairy liquid and 2 tablespoons of Ecover laundry bleach, then 2 hot washes with nothing, then more rinses until all the bubbles were out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->