New to forum ( father of premature baby)

Oman25

Reaction score
Hi all

I would like to thank you all for this nice forum, I learnt a lot and I get support from your stories.

I had my first baby boy on 14th of April 2011.
He born on his 25 weeks + 5 days and his weight 780 g.
He had problem in breathing and he is under ventilation.
Last Wednesday he had PDA surgery.

Can anyone tell me how his baby look after surgery and how long it take them to get stable?

It is really hard to be father of premature baby, I feel I can't do anything to him :( .

Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy.

Unfortunately its very difficult to tell when your little boy will stabilise as every baby is different. Hopefully the PDA operation will help his breathing and he comes off the ventilator soon.

It is extremely difficult when they are so fragile. As a mother the only thing I could do was provide milk so I can only imagine its worse for a dad.

Any questions please ask away on these boards as lots of us have been there.

I hope your lo starts coming on leaps and bounds soon.

again congratulations on the birth of your son. sorry I don't have the experience of a PDA operation, but just wanted to say that in the early days, it does feel very much that you can't do anything for him - but you being there, talking to him, giving kangaroo care when he is strong enough, being his 'advocate' is much more than nothing. you also need each other's support as a couple, I couldn't have managed without my husband as he was the only one who really understood the journey we were all taking.

Good luck.

congrats on the birth of your son. Samantha had the meds to shut her PDA down no surgery. Every baby is different though in stabalizing. :hugs: Hope that he starts picking up soon. xxxxxx

Welcome, and congratulations on the birth of your baby! My son was born at 28.6 weeks. Unfortunately, I do not have any advice regarding the PDA surgery -- my son's PDA was closed with a synthetic hormone. :hugs:

Hi,
firstly, congratulations on the birth of your baby.

My daughter had her PDA surgically ligated at one month old. She was off the vent in 2 days and back on cpap and breathing on her own a week later. She was born at 27 weeks and 5 days and was on cpap before the operation so it will probably be a bit different for your little guy if he was vented prior to the operation. She did have a lot of digestion issues because of the blood flow to her lower abdomen but it eventually sorted itself out after her PDA was fixed. It just took a while.

She looked pretty much the same after her surgery, just sleepy.

Hope that answers your questions

:hi: congrats on your baby boy, my son was also born @ 25 weeks, he also had pda surgery he stabilised within hours, but did not come off the ventilator for another 3 days after he had the surgery, every baby is different and your son seems like a little fighter, i know how aweful you feel seeing your child suffer and not being able to help them its not an easy experience. but hang in their he will be home with you soon.

oh congratulations on the birth of your son!! :flower:

If you`ve been following other`s stories here you know having a baby that small in intensive care is a very scary, difficult experience - there will be many ups and downs. My own little one was ventilated on-off for months, with brief cpap periods at the beginning. These got longer as he got stronger. During the first few weeks I always felt we kept going back to square one - he kept going back to full ventilation. It was very discouraging. But it`s slowly over time that you start to see progress. Your precious son will grow and develop, change every day - it truly is a wonder to see! I cannot say much about PDA since my son basically had the worst possible outcome, pulmonary hemorrage which brought about the months of recovering on ventilation. If your son`s had surgery it`s to prevent such scenarios, so it`s clearly a step forward!

Welcome to this board and please don`t hesitate to ask any questions - the people here are great and very supportive of one another :hugs:

Thank you all for your comment and support. You don't know how much I feel happy when I read your replay and stories in this forum.

My baby health get stable after PDA surgery, and the increase the milk from 2ml per hour to 4ml per hour which feel me so happy. The baby gain waight and look good :). However he was under ventilation as doctors said he still can't handle breathing from nose with support.
However the next day they took the ventilation and he look awesome with out it. I was so so happy and excite. However, after around 3 hours his color change and had difficulties in breathing, so all doctors and consultants run to him, what a scary time. Thanks god he come after it and he back to ventilation and because of what happen they stop the milk for few days.
Now he is stable but he lost weight.
I will upload some pictures sometime

Oh that sounds good so far oman25! Glad to hear he is recovering well and is gaining weight. The first few days are often the toughest. It's normal for them to lose weight from time to time. It's very good that he's already taking milk! Even if they had to stop it. Many babies that small cannot digest milk for weeks. my own guy took weeks to tolerate even tiny amounts of milk; they stopped and started it many times.

Keep us updated! :happydance:

Going back on a ventilator is extremely common with extreme prems because they get tired very easily. At the slightest setback they treat it like there might be an infection and they always stop food as a precaution. Over the first 6 weeks my lo had her food stopped several times.

He has done the first step and was successfully off the vent for a few hours. Hopefully it won't be long until he is off it completely.

Keep us updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->