New to IBS. Advice pleaseeeeee :)

KatieTizzle

Mama :)
Reaction score
Hi, I know this forum doesn't get as busy as others but I feel this is the most appropriate place for my thread & I hope I can get some help :)

After months of nasty symptoms & normal tests (ultrasound & bloods) my doctor diagnosed me with IBS today. Unfortunately as I am trying to conceive he couldn't prescribe me any medication to ease the symptoms and instead I have linseed for my permanent bloat, which can on a lot of days bloat even more! Ugh. And I have fybogel for the bouts of constipation that sporadically occur. I started a food diary about a week ago and so far I can't see a pattern (but I do eat similar things every day, boring I know!).

So I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what else I can do to help the different symptoms associated with IBS, that are obviously safe to do when TTC or pregnant. Any reply will be greatly appreciated :)

I have IBS and gastritis, and I feel your pain! It really sucks doesn't it. I'm not on medication because I am ttc as well, but I have found 2 things that help atleast a bit.

#1. No soda. and I mean like, none. The second I have a sip of soda, especially Coca cola for whatever reason, I immediately get upset stomach/sick/bloating/burping/horribleness.

#2. I know it sounds like a gimmick because I really didn't believe it at first, but try having an activia yogurt everyday, or dannon danactive, or theres a few different kinds of yogurt that have something extra in it that is supposed to regulate your immune system. It helps a little bit, I have one every morning and it does help.

I guess we just have to try all these little things for a bit of relief :)

Thank you for replying.

I'm not a big soda drinker, I prefer still drinks. But will occasionally have some cola here or there because OH loves it. I had alot of dairy yesterday and was up in the night with symptoms which meant I have slept alot today and I feel just awful! Wondering if dairy could be a trigger for me :(

I had a read up about probiotics and you can get them in supplement/tablet form so I think I might give that a go instead of the yoghurts. As going to cut dairy out of my diet for a while see if it helps.

It really effects my day to day life, it's horrible, if I'm having bad symptoms I won't leave the house, it's ridiculous. I heard that pregnancy can really make it flare up! So we have that to look forward too! Lol

Have you tried linseed/flaxseed oil? There has been a lot of controversy on weather it's good to take or not during pregnancy and this worries me but my doctor suggested it but he said just linseed I decided to get the tablet oil. He said apparently cows create a lot of methane gas which effects the atmosphere so they now put linseed in the cows feed and it has greatly reduced the amount of gas therefore making their produce better and helping the atmosphere! How he knows this I don't know lol but anyway he was saying it's really good for bloating :)

I have had IBS for years. I was on some meds for it but can't take them while TTC. I do take probiotic tablets every day and it seems to help. I'm sorry I can't offer more advice. It would be a lot easier for me if my doctor could have figured out what cases my symptoms, but after keeping a food diary and having a colonoscopy and then a upper endoscopy, they didn't find anything.

Good luck though, I hope you are able to find something to relieve your symptoms. I will have to look in to the linseed/flaxseed oil.

I was diagnosed last year after my mum was diagnosed with cancer- at only 49. I started getting such bad pain and noticed blood after going to the toilet, got a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with IBS. I think the stress brought it on.

I go through periods of constipation but more frequently bouts of days of having about 8-9 movements a day which is a pain.

What I find is- Bread, Potatoes and all carb things seem to make it worse. I try to stick to a high protein diet but I always fall on this as I love carbs. I also gave up alcohol mostly for ttc but I have noticed I am way less bloated since I did. I drank a few drinks once to twice a week but even that must have been having an effect.

So in summary what works for me

A lot of water
Reduce carbs
reducs alcohol
A lot of protein

i have an ultrasound wed because they wont diagnose me with it til they rule out everything else first...do u all get bad pain along your lower abdomen above bikini line? i have it there alot aswell as diarrhea more often than not buscopan helps the upper cramps

Yeah I get pain around that area too, I have bladder problems as well which I think is connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->