new to opk's..advice?

mara j

Reaction score
I was sure I OV last month as had all the symptoms but no AF and plenty of BFN's! so can only presume I had annovulatory cycle. Have just started taking agnus castus to regulate my cycle and using OPK's. Dont know where I am in my cycle so have taken 1200mg a day for the last week. I test with OPK's every day..late afternoon and so far they all seem to show a pale pink test line. Each day the results have the same depth of colour. Sorry to ramble on! but can anyone tell me if its normal to have no variation in shade of pink? lol! As i thought it varies throughout cycle.

Hi, sorry I don't use OPKs but a lady called Dachsundmom is an OPK expert and I'll sure she'll answer soon for you :thumbup:

I use IC's for about 1 week before I ovulate, most times I will have a faint test line with a nice dark control. Then, magically, before I O the test line gets progressively darker then eventually darker than control line. Your timing of POAS is perfect, if you're ovulating you WILL see it! :hugs:

I was sure I OV last month as had all the symptoms but no AF and plenty of BFN's! so can only presume I had annovulatory cycle. Have just started taking agnus castus to regulate my cycle and using OPK's. Dont know where I am in my cycle so have taken 1200mg a day for the last week. I test with OPK's every day..late afternoon and so far they all seem to show a pale pink test line. Each day the results have the same depth of colour. Sorry to ramble on! but can anyone tell me if its normal to have no variation in shade of pink? lol! As i thought it varies throughout cycle.

Hi there! My first question is, do you have PCOS? If so, using OPKs will prove to be quite a challenge for you and I would suggest that you head straight to temping.

With that said, typically you should have some variation in the color. So...how long are you holding your urine before you test? Have you tried testing earlier or later in the day? What OPKs are you using? How long are your cycles, your average LP, and what day did you start testing?

I am sorry for the all of the questions, lol. :hugs:

Mara- feel free to upload a pic as well! I love to look at them. Lol.

I would suggest temping in addition to opk's as:
- some women can miss the surge that results in a positive OPK but still ovulate
- you can get a surge (and a positive OPK) but not ovulate.

BTW for me the line is fairly pale until close to ovulation - so it will start getting darker before it turns positive.

Thanks ladies, that's really helpful! Dmom...I don't know where in my cycle I am at the moment, but have been testing for a week. Dont think I have pcos as sure doc would've mentioned it at last visit. Have had bloods done and they showed a slightly higher level of FSH so perimenopause was considered but after further tests was told I wasn't. Everything looked as it should but haven't been regular since coming off the MIRENA late last year. B4 Mirena was 28-30 day cycle regular as clockwork 14 day LP, but had an imbalance of hormones, too much Oestrogen versus Progesterone, hence Mirena.Tried testing in the morning and get a slightly fainter test line. Considered temping, so think I'll give it a go.
Thanks for advice everyone!

Thanks ladies, that's really helpful! Dmom...I don't know where in my cycle I am at the moment, but have been testing for a week. Dont think I have pcos as sure doc would've mentioned it at last visit. Have had bloods done and they showed a slightly higher level of FSH so perimenopause was considered but after further tests was told I wasn't. Everything looked as it should but haven't been regular since coming off the MIRENA late last year. B4 Mirena was 28-30 day cycle regular as clockwork but had an imbalance of hormones, too much Oestrogen versus Progesterone, hence Mirena.Tried testing in the morning and get a slightly fainter test line. Considered temping, so think I'll give it a go.
Thanks for advice everyone!

Has you doctor mentioned Provera to see if he can get you one really good cycle and hopefully regulate you?

No he hasn't, thats interesting. Excuse my ignorance but what form does that take? and can i just ask him for it? Does it really help kick start my cycle and regulate it?

No he hasn't, thats interesting. Excuse my ignorance but what form does that take? and can i just ask him for it? Does it really help kick start my cycle and regulate it?

Let me stress, I am not a doctor, lol. But, it should bring on your AF and then hopefully regulate you. But, I have also been told by my doc that it can take a year to get regulated after an IUD, but IDK.

I do believe it is injectible.

Thanks Dmom, will make an appt to discuss it. Didnt realise it took soo long to regulate after IUD, FX'd it'll settle down soon.:thumbup:

Thanks Dmom, will make an appt to discuss it. Didnt realise it took soo long to regulate after IUD, FX'd it'll settle down soon.:thumbup:

:hugs::hugs: I could be so wrong about this; I am really just guessing, lol. But, I do hope that you get all of the answers that you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->