New to pumping... is this normal?

Butterfly89

Mama of 1
Reaction score
Long story short, I'm trying to relactate. :)

I have stupidly small boobs. Right now they are back down to 32B like before I was pregnant but they did go up to 36C when I had milk before. But I lost all my weight since then so... no boobs again LOL. Anyway!!

I rented an Ameda Elite pump and the flange is sucking in my ENTIRE areola/nipple. It looks really freaky but it doesn't hurt really. Just a tiny pinch. Is this ok?

I actually got two drops out today and it's only my first day and it's been SIX months. :o I'm only taking Fenugreek so far but I bought Mother's Milk tea too. Good sign I hope.

Will this damage my nipples? It seems to be working anyway (hard to tell yet) but I'm afraid I'll end up with weirdness or cause issues.

I may be wrong but it sounds like the flange may be too big I believe you can order different sized ones seperately. It's unlikely to do serious damage but it may make pumping less effective and give you burst blood vessels/soreness xx

Hope this helps it's the official ameda site with all the different accessories to reduce the flange size (or increase it) xx

Oops forgot the link https://ameda.co.uk/catalog/breastpump-accessories

It could be ok as long as your nipple isn't hitting the end of the flange (which definitely could cause the skin to break).

But it also makes me wonder whether your flanges might be too big. The nipple shouldn't rub but there also should ideally be just a few millimeters around it. If you have particularly elastic tissue, that could be enough to suck in a lot of areola. But it could also mean the diameter is too wide.

HTH :flower:

It does sound like the flanges are too large. Well done for relactating though :D keep going, what you've got so far is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->