New to this part of the site: Popping in to say hello :)

Bambina

Mother of 1
Reaction score
Hey Ladies,

I have stumbles upon this part of the site and thought i would pop in to say hello. I am a mummy to a 2 year old ( 3 next month) little girl. She is a very bouncy, fun child who loves to smile and giggle away. Apart from what i write below there is no other issue. She was crawling by 6 months, walking by 8. So all physical Development is right for her age.
She is very logical, she can complete Wooden Jigsaws the first time she does them ( she studies them for about 10 minutes beforehand). Her drawing abilities are quite advanced as well. So is her use of technical equipment.

So a little bit about the reason as to why i popped in...

My Daughter in near 3 and does not communicate to me or her father in any verbal way. She can not speak many words but will mutter sounds and noise often. Her most common word is da-da however this is never consistent. She Will not even try to pronounce other words. This could be down to the fact she does not understand us or just not listening to us. She can not respond to her name nor to any questions we ask. She does not understand when we tell her to get her coat or wash her hands. We are always talking to her and speaking words but it's as if she can't understand us.

We have tried picture cards etc, but these have made no difference to her speech as of yet.

She has had a CAST test done and we are waiting on hearing the results. The Pediatrician says she does show clear signs of ASD and a formal assessment will be needed if the CAST test comes back.

A hearing test was done, but all was clear.

She see's a portage Home Visitor, Speech and Language t. Therapist as well as ESCO being involved now. She is due to start nursery in September, so there trying to rush the help through.

Currently She is not potty trained as i don't really know now to consider the idea if she can not tell us when she needs a wee. So this is on hold for now.

Sorry if this is a bit of a long read, i just wanted to get it out there. I don't know anyone else who is going through the same, so if anyone is able to give advice etc, it would be very grateful. It feels so much better now i have got that of my chest.

If anyone want's to know anything let me know. i will answer any questions

hi!! i just noticed that this thread was posted a lil while ago bit just wanted to say that i hope everything is going well :) stay encouraged :hugs:

:hug:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner! Tons of hugs to you :hugs::hugs:
I hope they can get everything in place for her before she starts nursery this fall. My son is starting school (he's 3.5) and it's stressful. He has been diagnosed with global developmental delay (speech delay and gross motor skill delay) but doing much better since getting support. We did potty train my son before he could tell us he needed to go, but if I could do it again I would wait longer. We used picture cards and signing with my son, and both took quite a bit of time to click - but he was also able to follow direction so we had a starting point with how to work with him. I'm not in the UK so not really sure what some of the acronyms you wrote mean, but there are quite a few ladies here who have better advice I'm sure. This section is a little slow, but people do pop in! xx

Our little girl was just diagnosed in April, she is 4 this month and indeed she was the same with speech. It is great that you have the support coming through though - we found because Alex was a girl they just blamed all her issues on prematurity - but I knew there was more to it, and I was right.

She didnt pick up on the cards until after 3, and I cannot tell you how much of a difference Makaton signing has made to her life - she can communicate with us now and request things and has a handful of short words (hat,cat,go,hot). Mr Tumble got us there, i would highly recommend his stuff. (Something Special Series 1 one YouTube was our first way in there, now we are doing courses in Makaton!)

Hi hun, sorry I didn't see this sooner too! :hugs:

My son is non-verbal, he was diagnosed when he was 20 months old with a neurological condition which affects his motor planning (including speech). As soon as he was diagnosed we began signing with him and like AP has said - we found it made a huge difference to enabling him to communicate with us :thumbup:

We did potty train him, we needed to as at some point there would be an issue with school. He indicates he needs the toilet by using certain signs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->