New Zealand Name Bans

ZoeyKaspian

Reaction score
Have you girls heard of these name bans? Some are absolutely ridiculous like Anal. I'm all for weird names, but c'mon, who decided to name their kid Anal? However, the banning of the name, Justice, gets me riled up a little bit. I had just asked my fiance a few nights ago if he liked the name Justice and he said no because it's too close to Justin, but really is Justice that bad of a name for it to be banned?

I can see why they do it sometimes .in the states social services actually took 2 kids from there parents because their names were adolf hitler and Aryan nation

you cant call a girl Andrea in Italy as its deemed a boys name despite it being a girls name in most other countries

I can see why they do it sometimes .in the states social services actually took 2 kids from there parents because their names were adolf hitler and Aryan nation

Yeah, I remember that, but I think not being allowed to name a child Justice is taking it a bit far or Andrea.

They have a list of approved names in the Netherlands and Iceland. If the name you choose is not on the list, then you can't name your baby that. It's crazy.

But then again, if we had some banned names in the US then maybe baby Hashtag wouldn't have happened. Oh well! :)

They have a list of approved names in the Netherlands and Iceland. If the name you choose is not on the list, then you can't name your baby that. It's crazy.

But then again, if we had some banned names in the US then maybe baby Hashtag wouldn't have happened. Oh well! :)

Ugh that's just bad, I went to a high school for teen moms and was just dumbfounded at some of the names . There was a baby named Fury , a kid named turbo and a poor little girl whose name was Alexis-nevaeh Anna-Maria margret with 2 last names it was way too long

Ugh that's just bad, I went to a high school for teen moms and was just dumbfounded at some of the names . There was a baby named Fury , a kid named turbo and a poor little girl whose name was Alexis-nevaeh Anna-Maria margret with 2 last names it was way too long

When my mom is filling out forms online, they tell her that her full married name is too long and it makes that "ding, ding" noise when she's still typing.

I went to school with a girl that had 8 middle names, think her parents must of thought they would never have anymore kids so used every name they could think of lol

i know it started Charlotte Victoria Elizabeth (then i forget the rest i think there was Mary in there somewhere lol all very classic names at least and not a random mix)

I can see why some names are clearly banned but Justice? That doesn't make sense. I'm a social worker at a child welfare agency and some of the names I come across are really over the top! The latest one to shock me was a little boy whose middle name is 'Prince of New York'. Another family with 8 kids all have first names starting with the letters Kwa.... Some the names I can't even pronounce. I have to admit though, I think some of these crazy names are pretty cool and gutsy. :laugh2:

While I'd never name a kid Justice, I think that's a ridiculous ban.

Then again, I think anyone who desires to name their kid Justice should probably just go with Justus.

Justice, King and Princess are all titles, I'm guessing thats why its refused.
Justice XXX is how a Judge is addressed.

good point i suppose, the only thing fully outlawed with names (in the uk) are titles such as lady and lord

(although you can buy a title so i dont know why they make a big deal about this lol)

good point i suppose, the only thing fully outlawed with names (in the uk) are titles such as lady and lord

(although you can buy a title so i dont know why they make a big deal about this lol)

Is this a new thing? The Lord/Lady rule? I only ask as my nephew (nearly 3) has a little boy called Lord in his nursery. Didn't know if it was a new ban? Or maybe he was born outside the UK I don't know!

But Peter Andre and Katie price's daughter is named princess?

Theyre not from New Zealand. Or Australia. From what I can see the UK advises strongly against presumed titles but doesn't ban them.

"Here in Australia, parents can give their child whatever first or middle name takes their fancy - within reason. Under the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act a registrar can refuse to register a name if:
It is obscene or offensive
Cannot be established by repute or usage
If it's too long
If it contains symbols without phonetic significance, such as an exclamation or question mark.
Is contrary to public interest
Contains an official title or rank recognised in Australia such as King, Lady, Father, Sir or Admiral."

Is this a new thing? The Lord/Lady rule? I only ask as my nephew (nearly 3) has a little boy called Lord in his nursery. Didn't know if it was a new ban? Or maybe he was born outside the UK I don't know!

been around since i had my son 5 years ago

my friend tried to change his name to lord (as thats what everyone knows him by) but wasn't allowed so he had to buy a title instead

Ah I shall have to ask his parents next time I see them! Maybe he wasn't born here. Seems like a crazy rule as you can buy the title anyway! As a PP said that rule can't include princess/prince as there are plenty of those around! Seems weird for them to pick lord to ban! Am just grateful we don't have to pick names off a pre-approved list!

Theyre not from New Zealand. Or Australia. From what I can see the UK advises strongly against presumed titles but doesn't ban them.

"Here in Australia, parents can give their child whatever first or middle name takes their fancy - within reason. Under the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act a registrar can refuse to register a name if:
It is obscene or offensive
Cannot be established by repute or usage
If it's too long
If it contains symbols without phonetic significance, such as an exclamation or question mark.
Is contrary to public interest
Contains an official title or rank recognised in Australia such as King, Lady, Father, Sir or Admiral."

can not include exclamation marks lol

I met an old biker in a bar once who was pissed off that his wife wouldn't agree with the first name he wanted so he registered the kids middle name as Oink! to piss her off lol - poor kid is like 30 odd now

random point but if anyone has read the book 'im with the band' by pamela des barrs she is friends with a couple who named there kid Groovee Nipple (but it was the 60s and they where friends with frank zappa lol)

I was visiting a friend of mine up north and we popped in to see some friends of hers while we were out and about. They already had one child (called something ridiculous but cant remember what) but they had just had another and they had named him..... Cosmic Toast.
I really didn't know what to say!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"