Newborn check question (lifting baby by arms?)

LoraLoo

Pregnant with a Rainbow
Reaction score
Nellie is my 7th baby and yet I don't remember the Dr picking any of my other baby's up by the wrists.

Can any uk mums tell me if this was done during the hospital check before they discharge baby from hospital.

My son has this done but not at birth. It was done at both 6 and 8 weeks to look at his neck muscles. To see if he could pull it up or if it lagged

Thank you. She didn't have it done at her 6 week check and I don't recall the others having it at all but my memory may be letting me down! :)

James had it done at the 6 weeks check but I can't remember whether they did it at birth.

All of mine have had this done, then they sort of drop them to check for the startle reflex, I've never enjoyed it!

Yep they did this to mine. It's normal to check they startle reflex and as minties said they sort of drop to see their reaction to it X

I've had this done for all 5 of mine at birth/discharge check, I only remember as its one of the parts I've never liked. :)

I remember them checking for the startle reflex and 'dropping' then backwards, but never physically lifting them completely in the air by their arms, guess I must have missed it with the others. What's the purpose of it? I always thought it could pull their shoulders out of the sockets doing that? X

Eh what?! They lifted your baby right up by their arms - bearing their entire weight on their arms?? No that has never happened to me here in New Zealand. I would be unhappy and upset!

Eh what?! They lifted your baby right up by their arms - bearing their entire weight on their arms?? No that has never happened to me here in New Zealand. I would be unhappy and upset!

Yes, like that. I felt shocked at the time but just presumed it was part of the check, but it's been bothering me since as I couldn't remember it with my others, so thought I'd ask In here x

I would actually be so upset I would lay a complaint with your midwifery/doctor service. My midwife was always very gentle and respectful (here you get one midwife and she does all the checks up to 6 weeks). She never would have done that. And I can't seethe point in it either, sounds like it could hurt the baby.

Oh no! Not like that at all! If anything with my second the dr lifted his head and dropped it whilst supported to check his reflex

That is really strange thing to do.

I remember them checking for the startle reflex and 'dropping' then backwards, but never physically lifting them completely in the air by their arms, guess I must have missed it with the others. What's the purpose of it? I always thought it could pull their shoulders out of the sockets doing that? X

Oh sorry that's how I thought you meant. No none of mine had that done to them :shrug:
I would worry about their shoulders to, that and we've always been told about pulled elbow as dd2 pulled her out when we lifted her from the floor after she had fallen, surely that is the same kind of motion? :)

I'd have thought so- he just dangled her there, it looked awful 😣 Like I say it's been bothering me since but wasn't sure if it was parting the check or if I was over reacting for feeling upset (and angry!) ... I just didn't like it at all x

Not over-reacting at all, that's totally out of line and I would complain.

Nurse based in the USA here, in our practice we would never lift the baby only by the wrists to check the startle reflex! I think if you're concerned I would mention it to someone! Babies are tougher than we give them credit for but in that case the shoulders could potentially be injured. I'd at least call them out on it, maybe just ask "why do you need to lift like that?" and see what their reasoning is? Yikes!

At the six week check they held her face down but from her belly to see if she lifted her head and arms and legs up. But not by her arms, that would have really shocked and scared me! I'm in the UK and have never seen that happen with neither of my children x

At birth the paediatrician pulled my LO up off her back using her hands (she was grabbed on to his fingers ). He didn't make her take her entire body weight on her arms but maybe lifted her to a 30 - 45 degree angle, I think to test her muscle tone (I remember him saying she had a strong neck at this point). He hadn't pulled her up on limp arms, she was using her arm muscles to stay gripped to him, so it looked fairly safe, although not my favourite bit.

My lo had his 8 week check and jabs and the gp did something similar to what you described but he held his hands and only slightly pulled him up and definitely did not let him dangle or anything.

At birth the paediatrician pulled my LO up off her back using her hands (she was grabbed on to his fingers ). He didn't make her take her entire body weight on her arms but maybe lifted her to a 30 - 45 degree angle, I think to test her muscle tone (I remember him saying she had a strong neck at this point). He hadn't pulled her up on limp arms, she was using her arm muscles to stay gripped to him, so it looked fairly safe, although not my favourite bit.

We had the same with both babies being lifted by their hands to check something about neck strength. Their bottom and lower back stayed in contact with the ground.
It sounds like he was doing this check and took it too far? It must have been scary to see and I would mention it.:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->