Newborn check question (lifting baby by arms?)

At birth the paediatrician pulled my LO up off her back using her hands (she was grabbed on to his fingers ). He didn't make her take her entire body weight on her arms but maybe lifted her to a 30 - 45 degree angle, I think to test her muscle tone (I remember him saying she had a strong neck at this point). He hadn't pulled her up on limp arms, she was using her arm muscles to stay gripped to him, so it looked fairly safe, although not my favourite bit.

We had the same with both babies being lifted by their hands to check something about neck strength. Their bottom and lower back stayed in contact with the ground.
It sounds like he was doing this check and took it too far? It must have been scary to see and I would mention it.:hugs:

He did that check just before the startle reflex check, I remember that from my other babies, but only this time did they lift baby right into air- her head was probably level with his, she was completely out of the little cot. I'm going to mention it s it makes me really annoyed every time I think about it. He seemed in a total rush too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->