Newborn cloth suggestions

vaniilla

Reaction score
Newborn nappy advice please?

We have a full stash from DS once lo is able to fit into BTP/one size nappies but I have 0 experience with newborn cloth!

What would people say is the cheapest & slimmest way to go until they fit into btp? I just begrudge the idea of paying hundreds for nappies to be used for only 1 child that will be outgrown in weeks!

Do you have receiving blankets? They work pretty well as cloth diapers. Look up the origami fold. It might not be the slimmest, but it works pretty darn well. Then when they get older, the origami fold becomes more slim and you can adjust the way you fold it too.

What are receiving blankets? I'm just picturing the big cellular blankets!

They are thin flannel blankets, often times used for swaddling newborn babies.

Do you use ebay ever? I got 12 of them on ebay for $50.00 and then just did the wash every night. They were AIO. Happy Fluit, I think was the brand but I am not sure. My little guy was early so he wore them for almost two months.

You'll want more than 12 though... my first went through about 20 diapers a day as a newborn. We did change every time she wet them, but we were also practicing EC which meant that some of her pee and poop was being caught directly in a container instead of in a diaper... and we STILL went through that many diapers! My second was much more reasonable in that area but I'd still advise to have more than 12 on hand.

Thank you for the great suggestions :)

I'll look on ebay for those nappies and I'll look to get some of those flannel sheets too. I'll aim to have around 2/3 days worth so there's enough to use and have some out drying/waiting to be washed so around 36?.

oh ya - if you want 2-3 days then at least 36. Maybe to make sure you won't have to do daily laundry you should pad that a little more towards 40.

I bought 24 decent quality 70cm muslins from Muslinz and 3 wool wraps. Found the Jo fold worked best for my tiny newborn as overlapping the initial fold makes for a small, slim nappy. Also extremely quick to dry, which is super useful when you're doing upwards of 12 changes a day.

You may need boosters from a few weeks in; at three weeks I'm finding muslins alone are not always absorbent enough. There's always the option of layering two muslins together too.

50cm terry squares are another option, although a touch bulky on a tiny baby.

50cm bamboo terry squares are just awesome for the first few months. Super efficient, always fit, slim, economical, wash well dry quickly. AND they can be used later as inserts and boosters, so never wasted. They really are not difficult to put on. You need to spend maybe 5 minutes or less learning how to do it, and then it's simple as PI. Here's a video

50cm bamboo terry squares are just awesome for the first few months. Super efficient, always fit, slim, economical, wash well dry quickly. AND they can be used later as inserts and boosters, so never wasted. They really are not difficult to put on. You need to spend maybe 5 minutes or less learning how to do it, and then it's simple as PI. Here's a video
I have some 50cm squares - can they be used as inserts without the need of sewing? I want to use them as inserts for my Disana tie up nappies when LO has outgrown her terry squares.

Muslin squares! Cheap, thin and dry quickly!. Or terry squares but I found them a little bulkier than muslins. There is always preloved, I agree it can be a waste to buy a new set for one baby for a few weeks. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->