Newborn hates stretchy wrap...options

misspriss

Reaction score
Okay. DS LOVED his sleepy wrap. He would go in that thing and sleep until I took him out. It was grand. I have assumed babies love these things, as almost everyone says they do.

I recently had DD, and now DS is 2 and a handful. I NEED to be able to wear DD. Case in point - went to BF support group today, didn't take DS to pee beforehand because we weren't going to be there long and he peed right before we left. Also, how was I going to pick up my super short DS and hold him on the potty while carrying DD?....well he peed his pants as we were leaving. Fun fun.

I have several stretchy wraps, in fact I bought a new one just for her. She HATES it. more often than not, she cries as soon as I put her in it. If I can get her to be happy and sleep in it, which I can sometimes, she wakes up after about a half hour screaming murder until I take her out. My grocery shopping trip last week was an utter disaster. She started crying halfway through, I stopped and fed her, then she wouldn't go back in and cried until I got out of the store and quit crying as soon as she was in her car seat!

Also, taking the time to tie the stretchy wrap was NO big deal with one kid, but it is SUCH a hassle trying to get it tied and get a delicate newborn in it and keep an eye on my crazy wild 2 year old, usually in a parking lot or busy store.

So I am going to have to buy a new carrier. I am trying to decide between the less expensive baby k'tan, but it would still be a lot like a stretchy wrap, it would solve the wrapping problem but DD may still hate it.

Otherwise I am thinking of buying a second SSC. I have a boba 3g, which does newborn well but unlike the 4g you have to take the buckles off and do a bunch of stuff to make it newborn so I couldn't go back and forth with DS, who still uses it and it fits him well. I am thinking a Lillebaby all seasons carrier, as it gets really hot here, and also does a narrow crotch to do newborns legs out when they want.

It's funny DS wanted to be legs out from birth, he hated being froggied in. DD likes her legs froggied in, and she was a termie. Actually it may have something to do with being a preemie, as preemies legs and arms are not as "in" when they are born as term babies.

So should I buy a k'tan and try it? I could always take it back if it didn't work, and if it did it is much cheaper, or just go ahead and invest in the Lillebaby? Any other suggestions?

I guess my last resort is to use a stroller all the time, but I can't go grocery shopping and push baby in the stroller and a grocery cart at the same time!

Personally I like the k'tan but even then on your whole shopping with a stroller aspect you could just put the carseat on the top of the shopping cart. They're meant to clip in and when lo gets bigger just have her sit while you shop? Just a thought as I use my ergo while I shop most the time but when I forget it I just keep him in the carseat.

Personally I like the k'tan but even then on your whole shopping with a stroller aspect you could just put the carseat on the top of the shopping cart. They're meant to clip in and when lo gets bigger just have her sit while you shop? Just a thought as I use my ergo while I shop most the time but when I forget it I just keep him in the carseat.

Actually, they are NOT meant to clip onto the cart. The clips are for the base, and using them on the cart can weaken them and make your seat unsafe. It is also a fall hazard for the baby. Look at your carseat manual, almost all of them say specifically NOT to put it in the shopping cart up top, if you do you need to put it down in the basket.

We don't use an infant seat anyway, so that is not an option. But it I just wanted to make it clear that it is unsafe (one of the reasons I don't have an infant seat).

Sure I can put LO in the shopping cart...when she can sit and hold her head unassisted. She is 3 weeks old, there is a lot of grocery shopping between now and then!

Babywearing is really important to me, I really want to make it work.

Actually, they are NOT meant to clip onto the cart. The clips are for the base, and using them on the cart can weaken them and make your seat unsafe. It is also a fall hazard for the baby. Look at your carseat manual, almost all of them say specifically NOT to put it in the shopping cart up top, if you do you need to put it down in the basket.

We don't use an infant seat anyway, so that is not an option. But it I just wanted to make it clear that it is unsafe (one of the reasons I don't have an infant seat).

Sure I can put LO in the shopping cart...when she can sit and hold her head unassisted. She is 3 weeks old, there is a lot of grocery shopping between now and then!

Do you not have the shopping carts with the attachments for the car seats where you'r from? I'm not referring to directly clipping them onto the cart. I do recommend the ergo and the k'tan those are the two I use the most. My Moby is too hot for him to get comfortable in where I live so that isn't used very often.

Do you not have the shopping carts with the attachments for the car seats where you'r from? I'm not referring to directly clipping them onto the cart. I do recommend the ergo and the k'tan those are the two I use the most. My Moby is too hot for him to get comfortable in where I live so that isn't used very often.

No I did not know those things exist!

Here people just stick them in shopping baskets, no attachment, very dangerous.

It still throws the center of gravity in the cart though.

I know exactly what your talking about, where I'm at the local grocery shops have carts meant for the carseat to go into now. I can see where your concern is but I'm just suprised and happy to see grocery shops are thinking about the safety of our children a little more. Even if its not the best idea I feel as if it's a step in the right direction!

I would personally go ahead and try one of the SSCs you mentioned. It can't hurt and as you say you can return if it doesn't work. :)

Thanks! I have been asking my local babywearing group, and they suggested trying legs out instead of in (she seems to naturally prefer in, but may be more comfortable out), which I will try with the wrap. Also I'm going to trim my stretchy wrap, as it is long enough to tie with over a foot on each end loose but I don't want to tie it back behind my back. I'd rather cut it, even enough to only tie in the back and not the front - less fabric, less heat. It would help with putting it on.

I also found instructions for making a DIY baby k'tan, which I might try...even cheaper than buying one.

I also switched my boba 3g over to newborn mode and tried it with her, she tolerated better than the wrap but still not. I might try it in regular mode with a "pillow" under the bum, which is what I did with DS when he was a bit bigger. The problem with a SSC is I can't decide which one! And they are pricey to try if they woudn't work, even if you could send it back.

Sophie cried in the wrap too and I had her looked at by an osteopath. Her lower spine was out of alignment and once he corrected it she was happier to be in the wrap.

She was never 100% on being carried on my front though to be honest. She hates it even now and won't tollerate it. She didn't like being nursed to sleep or rocked either. So different to my son.

I was also under the impression that legs in was a no-no these days. I do remember reading somewhere ages ago that it puts impact on their legs with every step you take. Something like that.

If I were ro ever have another baby I would get the infant kinderpack.

I would love to take DD to the chiropractor, but my insurance doesn't cover it and we just don't have the money to pay out of pocket.

I will be trying feet out soon, I didn't have time today but we were in all day.

Some babies just don't like carriers. Mine was one. She would push against me when in one. She's a very hot kid and it is hot where we live so that may have been a factor. She wanted to be held a lot, but in our arms- go figure. Oh well. I had a Boba 3G and a ring sling and one other mesh type hip carrier and they were hardly used.

I hope that is not the case as I don't see how I could do it without wearing her. Take DS to potty in a public toilet? I could use a stroller, but then how could I push the shopping cart? I can't just not go out with both kids until she can sit in the cart, and I can't just always get a babysitter every time I need groceries..

This doesn't help with the carrier, but when I'm using the stroller and need to push a cart I push the stroller in front of me and drag the cart behind me by pulling on the front of the basket. I look like a mommy train but it gets the job done when necessary.

This doesn't help with the carrier, but when I'm using the stroller and need to push a cart I push the stroller in front of me and drag the cart behind me by pulling on the front of the basket. I look like a mommy train but it gets the job done when necessary.

This would not be possible here, grocery store is very crowded with carts when I shop, hard enough to navigate a cart alone. I suppose I could shop at a different time but it seems like a lot of hassle.

On a different note, feet out has been working for us! Two trips out and she has been happy legs out!

We have always had to do our grocery shopping on the weekend as my LO is such a pain in the neck at the grocery store. My husband goes on Saturday mornings now, but sometimes I go and leave my daughter at home with him. If it is for a quick trip for just a couple of things I put her in the stroller and it is not a big deal.

I have a Lillebaby for my DS and he loved/loves it and other than being pregnant I would still be using it now! I plan on using this for DD when she arrives as will make life so much easier with a nearly 2 year old, newborn & 2 dogs!

It is easy to use and really comfy :thumbup:

Well, legs out seems to work really well. Also my issues may be in the wrap. I used a sleepy wrap with DS, but I bought a new wrap called the Best Baby Wrap (local, I think) and it's thinner (and longer, I think!), I thought "great for hot summers!" they did say it would be comfortable to a lower weight because it was thinner, but I planned to go SSC after a while.

Well, I struggled getting it wrapped, struggled with the length, struggled getting a secure wrap, etc. It'd been so long since I used the sleepy wrap I thought it was just a wrapping thing. I used the sleepy wrap lasts night around the house as the best baby wrap was in the car, and it was great. The thicker fabric is also grippier, and it's shorter. It is easy to wrap, easy to keep straight, and kept her much more secure feeling. I will stick with the sleepy wrap from now on.

Not a suggestion for a carrier, but I had to comment on the shopping cart/car seat thing. I don't know how many arguments I got into with the ladies at our grocery store over this with Finn! They finally gave up and just think I'm crazy now. There's one other person here who wraps and feels the same as me on things like the shopping cart and she gets all the same too. Ugh. Old ideas and stubborn people.

Do you have a woven? It might be cooler/more comfortable since you only need one pass over baby with a woven. :)

No woven, expensive and a learning curve. If I were to spend that much, it will be on a SSC, as DH will not use a wrap.

Legs out has been working great for us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"