Newborn weight loss

SjandPeanut

Reaction score
So my daughter was 4220 at birth, at 5 days she was 4130 and on Thursday (9 days) she was 4170.

Surely that can't be right?
Ok this girl has done nothing but feed and poop since she was born, but it seems she only lost 90g and had gained 40 back in 4 days? The midwife seemed to think I had supplemented with formula despite me already saying she was exclusively breastfed.

Lol no wonder I've been so tired!

X

One of mine didn't lose anything from his birthweight and had gained 3-4oz back by day 4 and over 1lb by day 10 and he was EBF! A lot of it depends on how much excess fluid they have in their bodies when born, most of the newborn 'weight' loss is water loss-some babies retain more fluid after being born then when this is lost it can make weight loss seem like more than it actually is or that baby isn't gaining well or taking too long to gain back birthweight. Well done and it's really bad your mw accused you of supplementing with formula, this isn't the first time I have come across this on baby and bump. My youngest only lost 5oz and the midwife kept asking are you sure he is only on breast no bottles. Xx

DS was 7lbs 10oz at birth, and went down to 7lbs 3oz by 5 days, 6 days later he was up to 8lbs 12oz.

Babies can lose up to 10% in their first few days so for you that is around 400g. Your baby is well within the normal range. That's good going :) We lost 8oz by day 5 then had regained 10oz by day 9. Totally normal :) Cheeky moo midwife! DS1 only lost 1oz by day 5 then never lost since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->