nipple agony

rachy01

Reaction score
Help! My right nipple is killing. It looked like someone to a nail file to it (all grazed and scabbed)...just let baby feed from it (thought best to persevere to toughen it up) and scab came off (ewww was on poor bubs lip)....now its sore and bleedy.

What do I do?? Just feed from the other one today, pump the other and apply cream? Keep going with bad nipple?

Help!

when mine were bad I fed from one side pumped the other and used a shield and cream
now they are fine

I can't stress the use of Lansinoh cream enough. I LOVE the stuff. You can also hand express a bit of milk and up it on the injured nipple - let it air dry.

Lansinoh also makes gel pads specifically for sore nipples. Check those out as well.

Continue to feed baby as best you can with the injured nipple. Contrary to what you may think, a little blood from your nipple won't hurt baby. It might upset the baby's belly a little but it won't hurt the baby.

Try a nipple shield.

Try changing nursing positions. Remember to ALWAYS bring baby to YOU, not your breast to baby.

If all fails, see your baby's doctor to have the mouth checked. There is something called tongue tie that can affect your nursing relationship.

Also, my son had a very small mouth and short tongue at first. I dealt with on and off pain in my right nipple for 12 months. Once his mouth got bigger, his latch got better. Hang in there, you're doing amazing :)

I agree with the use of Lansinoh. I used to express a little milk onto the nipple before applying the Lansinoh, as the antibodies in the milk would help with the healing. I had to briefly pump the milk out of the sore breast as it was bleeding a lot and baby threw up my blood she'd swallowed.

I hope you're feeling better soon! :)

Thank you ladies so so much for responding. I will try all of those suggestions - I have the cream so I have sent OH out for nipple shields xx

Express off the sore side. Nipple shield. Keep putting breast milk on the nipple. Air them for a bit after feeds. Don't worry if your baby spits up blood. I ended up in a total panic until the midwife pointed out it was from my nipples xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->