nipple shield problem

Barhanita

Reaction score
My 3 week old is exclusively on a shield.

I noticed some pain in my nipple on the right side today. Baby's suck is so strong right now that small pieces of my nipple come through the holes on the shield and you can see little bumps on my nipples from where they were sticking out after the shield comes off. It's becoming painful and happens even if the shield is only loosely attached. Do you have any advice?

I never experienced that issue but what about trying a differed brand of shields? I tried three different brands and the nuk brand was my favorite....I used them for three months:thumbup:

Bar this happened to me too and it's because the size of the shield is not right! I changed the size and it stopped hurting immediately :)

I don't really know because the ones I was using didn't have a size! But I then used the Medela ones 20mm and they fit perfect

Oh my gosh I had this problem too! It hurt SO bad I cried and sometimes screamed. I never figured out why it did that though. Eventually the pieces of skin pulled through the holes would die. Yuck. I never tried switching sizes, maybe thats the answer!

Borr, for me 20 and 24 have the same problem

I never had this problem, but I hope it gets better. I tried the 20 and 24 and baby wouldn't take the 24. Maybe try a different brand?

Any hope of getting LO off the shields shortly?

Mm I agree with pp, maybe you can try a different brand? I hope you find one that works

I googled and read that if its too big it smushes your nipple, hope that helps

Thanks!

What is your advice to get rid of the shield? I think she is ready, she is just too spoiled.

I used the shield because my nipples kept going flat. I used it for 13 days and then one day I just took it off, my nipples were formed and she had learned to latch. Once I took it off I realized I was more scared of the pain than she even cared about the shield. My nipples have been a little sore but really not that bad, I am glad I see the shield because it shaped my nipples and helped a lot with her latch, have you tried taking it off lately?

I have tried.. she hates it. Going one size down doesn't do much for me - same thing :-(

Thanks. We are trying to see a lactation consultant, but they are all booked for tomorrow..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->