nipples really hurt :(

mama2b

Mummy & TTC
Reaction score
Im on day 3 of breastfeeding and my nipples really, really hurt they are sore and cracked and its starting to hurt all the way through when feeding rather than just the first few seconds.

I have lansinoh cream but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Is there anthing i can do or apply to ease the pain ?

thanks xxx

Express some BM as the end of a feed and rub it on the nipples and leave to air dry. Also go topless as much as possible. Hopefully your milk will start really kicking in now so your baby wont need to suck quite as hard. Hang in there honey - it does get better once they have had chance to get used to it.

Congrats BTW x

Congratualtions. savoy cabbage is supposed to be really good (but smelly) aswell, just put a leaf on each boob i'm not sure what temp it's supposed to be though, someone else might know. It should calm down as your body egts used to it.

It'll get better!!
Mine really hurt at the beginning, but thankfully its better now.
:hug:

speak to mw.
i had problems with katie and it turned out she had a tongue tie. was given some nipple shileds to use for a few days while things healed up.
things seem to be working now

it gets better hun!
mine hurt so badly the first few days, anything touching them made me wince in pain! they're much better now though! :)

the first week was a killer mine were so sore/cracked but i used tubes of that cream and after about a week literally in one day they just stopped hurting and have been fine ever since xx

make sure u change ur breast pads regularly too if your wearing them x

well done and i promise u it will only be a few more days! xx

Thanks everyone :hug:

The nipples don't hurt as much but my boobs are rock solid and now they boody hurt !

I have been reading some books on breast feeding and am a bit confused now if im doing it right as the hospital didn't really give me any advice as to what happens when the milk comes in.

Should I be feeding of one breast until empty then the next feed doing the alternative breast ? I don't think I had been letting him empty the first one before moving onto second so does that mean he was getting the full amount of milk he needs ?

Sorry If I sound really thick but I until I read the books again Id forgotten everything Id read previously when I was pregnant and I have been that tired and dosed up on drugs I don't know whether im coming or going half the time !!!

Yes you need to try to really drain one boob before moving on to the next or he wont get to the thicker filling hindmilk. You'll get used to it in time so dont stress too much hun. My own rule of thumb (this isnt from any expert BTW) is that if you end up putting him back on withing an hour of him last being on, then go back to the same side. In the early days that happens alot. Your boobs may 'feel' empty but they rarely are- they're just not as engorged which can be confused with feeling empty IYKIWM.

So dont get too hung up on which side or you'll go nuts!! If he's going off and on keep trying with the same side for a good while.

We are here if you need any advice honey!

And well done and congrats too xxx

Try flattening your whole areola/nipple and stuffing it into baby's mouth instead of just the nipple to relieve pain.

Consider expressing some of your BM with a hand-pump and bottle-feeding baby...that's what I had to do on my third day because I was in so much pain.

Thanks everyone.

OH Was sent to get an electric breast pump and nipple shields and am I have been using the shields with success :happydance: and pumping to although I haven't started using a bottle yet just storing the excess milk.

Also went to docs yesterday and mastitis so have been given amoxycillin and painkillers to take. Fell better already.

lanolin not doing anything for it? I have that and it help me but the key to sore cracked nipples is all about the position and the latch... maybe your hv can help with this if you feel you need assistance.

i've heard that cooled red cabbage leaves helps - not sure entirely as i've never tried this but a friend of mines swears by it.

either that or breast milk is supposed to do wonders too.

hugs to you, hope you feel better soon.

oh and i've just noticed both our babies are called lucas and have the exact same birth weight :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->