no insurance, don't know what to do!! worried!

katcan99

Reaction score
I recently lost my job, and my insurance. The last time I went to the Dr. was when I was 9dpo and he told me my pregnancy test was negative. I thought I was still covered by my insurance for 30 days after I lost my job, but I got a call from the dr saying the last visit wasn't covered.. Well, I have continued to do tests and they have gotten really dark, and I did a digital that came up pregnant. I know I am pregnant, but now I don't know where to go. I can see the Dr as self pay, but since I lost my job and my husband is a soccer coach and just lost one of his teams our income was cut way back. We are having trouble paying our rent, and 2 car payments plus all of our bills this month. It is actually kind of embarrassing. I really need to see a doctor because in the past I had an ectopic and a miscarriage. I just don't know what to do. :cry:

Look into Medicaid or any other state-specific program Texas might have. Depending on the size of your prior employer, you may also be eligible for COBRA continuation coverage (where you can continue your prior health insurance--although it's usually quite expensive). If you are eligible for COBRA and go that route, there are strict deadlines about the date by which you have to elect, and you have to make your payments on time. Good luck.

Hey there!
Im also in Texas and was kind of in the same boat as you. I found out i was pregnant at 4 weeks and started the process of getting Medicaid at 5 weeks. It is truly a blessing and everything is covered but unfortunately it is kind of a long process, its not alot of paperwork but they have up to 14 business days i believe to process your application. But as soon as its processed you can see a doctor my first visit was at 10 wks and i have another coming up soon. Good Luck with everything! :thumbup:

If you contact your local WIC office they can get you an 'emergency' card to cover you until Medicaid kicks in.

I applied for Medicaid online about a week ago, haven't heard anything back. I called today and was on hold forever only to find out I was called the wrong number. I tried the number they gave me and sat on hold for almost 30 minutes. I will try again tomorrow.

aapple-was it hard to find a doctor?

I have insurance and I was certain it covered maternity as well or I wouldn't have tried to get pregnant until I had it but now I'm not so sure. I looked over all my paperwork again the other day and I can't find anything about maternity so I'm freaking out!! I really hope it does because my hubby and I make too much for Medicaid but we are not rich by any means!! Hopefully you will be able to get the Medicaid which you should if you aren't working. Good luck and if you come up with any other options let me know! :)

We have no insurance but make too much to receive government assistance. If you have to pay for anything while not covered by insurance make sure you ask them about the discount. They always knock off about 20%.

Good luck sorting things out! :flower:

I definetly agree with getting medicaid. If you need to see a dr immedietly...go. Once approved they will back date it for you for any prev visits within 30 days. They do have an emergency approval you can do for 45days and will issue it to you immedielty until all their paperwork is finalized as long as you are approved. Also alot of hospitals now because of the current economy will negotiate your bill based on income or at the least will take a percentage off.

Hang in there katcan99! Hopefully the medicaid will work out for you. Just as a heads up, in my state if you get on medicaid while pregnant, medicaid will pay any of your medical bills up to 3 months prior to your getting on-board. Not sure if this is true in all states, however.

We have insurance, but I am unemployed right now and the premiums are through the roof. We were seriously contemplating dropping the insurance and just putting some money aside every month for any medical expenses, but then I became pregnant and we threw that idea out the window. However, there is one option for us, and perhaps it will work for you too: a home-birth with a mid-wife. A home-birth is a lot cheaper than a hospital birth, and in my area it's between 3-4k (that includes the birth, prenatal care, and postpartum care). It's not peanuts, but many mid-wives will work with you to establish a payment plan.

Good luck! :flower:

The week we found out we were pregnant, my husband lost his job and I found out mine didn't offer insurance until i've been there for a year (I started the day before we found out we are expecting). I turned to medicaid. I know that nobody wants to be on government assistance, but I will do anything to ensure that my baby is born as healthy as can be. Good luck and I hope you hear something from medicaid soon.

Thank you all so much for your responses!! I really appreciate your help!!

I recently lost my job, and my insurance. The last time I went to the Dr. was when I was 9dpo and he told me my pregnancy test was negative. I thought I was still covered by my insurance for 30 days after I lost my job, but I got a call from the dr saying the last visit wasn't covered.. Well, I have continued to do tests and they have gotten really dark, and I did a digital that came up pregnant. I know I am pregnant, but now I don't know where to go. I can see the Dr as self pay, but since I lost my job and my husband is a soccer coach and just lost one of his teams our income was cut way back. We are having trouble paying our rent, and 2 car payments plus all of our bills this month. It is actually kind of embarrassing. I really need to see a doctor because in the past I had an ectopic and a miscarriage. I just don't know what to do. :cry:

Go apply for medicaid.

As for TX Medicaid:
I am in a different state than you are, but we were in the same position. Left my job and found out 2wks later I was pregnant. (might be diff in TX, but...) they counted me and my unborn child, plus my DH on the application, which would mean you would have 3 in the household vs 2. This would bump up your income limits. PA also has really awesome benefits for uninsured pregnant woman (so they have a healthy pregnancy and don't come back for more assistance after). So, just keep positive...took about a week and 1/2 for my application to be processed.

As for picking a doctor, look up local OBGYNs and see if they except state insurance and you can narrow it down from there. If for some reason they don't give you insurance, you can be set up on a payment plan as well. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->