No sense of danger

pa2k84

Mummy to Lucas Richard
Reaction score
I know my ds2 does not have a great sense of danger and will quite happily jump at you from high up, just expecting you to catch him, throw himself around, run up and talk to complete strangers, climb everything etc. But it is starting to get serious and I am genuinely at a loss at what to do. Last weekend he climbed over a 5 ft. Gate in the back garden and ran off, found in under 10 minutes (some people had stopped him and called police, OH got to him first but then had to give all details to police which was fine. My dad was looking after both boys today for the first time on his own and Oliver ran from his house, slipped out door and again just ran. I am annoyed that after having conversion with my parents about him running away he didn't make sure doors were locked but still why did he just run?
He has once in the past unlocked a door at home and wandered around the corner, ever since a high lock has been placed on front door but can open back door to garden which should be safe with high fence but now climbs the gate.
I am after some help, what can I do/say, he is quick and sneaky and can't see that what he is doing is wrong. I have always had massive anxiety over him which was subsiding, this has not helped that at all :cry:

This too will pass. I know how fast they can slip out. My 3 year old has done it once and my heart dropped. I was pregnant and using the bathroom and in no position to chase after him when he left the bathroom, when I did go to find him the door was wide open and he was just gone! A teenage neighbor brought him back but it still scared the life out of me.

If you can keep your son from playing with it during a non emergency, amazon has personal alarms. You just clip it to a belt loop and you can tell him if he gets to a place where he is lost or scared to press the button and sound the alarm, that way if he does get out you have a safety net. (My son plays with his and it's loud so I don't let him wear it, it would give me peace of mind though.)

Second, I think your parents have learned their lesson after their precious grandson disappeared in their care and I doubt it will happen with them again.

Third, teach him about tricky people. I'll post a link when I find one.

Of course youll have to watch him carefully and keep the doors locked but it sounds like you have that covered and i have no advise about keeping him in, but at least he will have some tools to keep himself safe if something does happen and he wanders too far away from home.

Tricky people tips https://safelyeverafter.com/tips.html

Thank you, I do drum it into both kids about tricky people problem is neither of them seem to have awareness or fear. I guess after the first time that in itself actually helped a bit as he was happy to sit and chat with 2 people who stopped him but obviously could have far worse unimaginable consequences if the wrong type of person found him.
Being assessed at preschool for some issues (which I don't overly agree on) and this just adds to the list ��

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->