Non baby related but please answer if you can.

fairygirl

Pregnant, 1 Angel, 2 Rainbows
Reaction score
Hey girlies,

I'm looking for recommendations on where to buy an enagagement ring. As I posted a few weeks ago we bought one off the tv and during the resizing process it was damaged. The tv channel repaired it, only for cracks to reappear so it it seems it was substandard gold. It has gone back for good and I can't put into words how it made me feel. I bought it mid-August and I am still yet to annnounce the engagement :-(

Went to have a look on the highstreet today and just don't know what to do. My OH was less enthusiastic than ever, far more excited about getting his new phone and PS3 (which made me feel even worse because it felt like he gets all the treats - Can you tell I have middle child syndrome? lol). He has had his moments that show me he does want to be engaged though so I won't take it too much to heart. When we were looking he said I should just get what I like as I'm the one who'll be wearing it.

So I'd really appreciate if anyone can recommend where to look. I don't wanna spend too much, but then I don't wanna go through this again because of not spending enough. I know I'll end up paying more getting it on the high street, but that's the way it seems to be going.
So ideas ladies please (UK stores).:help:

I wish I lived in the UK, but OH used to. He told me some good places: H. Samuel, Goldsmiths, or F. Hinds.

Hope that helps!

Mine is from H Samuels and was around £300, had it 2 years and its still like perfect, tho i have sent it for a professional clean due to getting married in 6 weeks and want everything shiny

Mines from Ernest Jones and cost about £350, had it for nearly 4 yrs now and it still looks as good as new.

I don't have one and not looking at the moment but have heard a few people mention Hatton Garden which in London's jewellry quarter. Lots of smaller independent shops all in one area. Might be an idea if you can get there as you'd be able to find something a bit more unique than from high street chains?

My ring's from an independent local shop but the compny that make the jewellery are Clogau Gold. They do a range of specifically engagement rings from a reasonably low price : https://www.clogau.co.uk/Jewellery/Engagement-Rings.aspx as well as various other kinds of ring if you want something different: https://www.clogau.co.uk/Collections/All-Collections.aspx. The products you can buy online are exactly the same as the products you can buy in the shops and I can vouch for the quality! You can get a limited range of Clogau Gold in H Samuels and Argos, and they do sell on QVC.

Beca :wave:

Tiffanys! My lifes ambition is to have a Tiffanys engagement ring :haha:

I'm not from the UK but I have some suggestions.

Go to as many jewelry places as possible to get an idea of what you like (gold, platinum, diamond cut and clarity, etc) and what prices you can expect. DH bought my ring as a surprise so I wasn't part of the process. But he said he spent an entire day going around to all the jewelry places in our area to find the 'perfect' ring. Try on a bunch of different shapes and sizes until you find what you want. (DH had the ladies at the jewelry counter try them on so he could get an idea of what it would look like on me :haha:)

Get a jewlery loupe. It may seem a bit silly but it comes in handy and if you pull one of those out while inspecting a ring the jeweler will take you a bit more seriously. My DH had one when we went shopping for our wedding rings. My wedding band has channel set square cut diamonds. When we went to go pick it up after having it resized DH looked it over with the loupe first to find out that several of the diamonds were majorly flawed and it was not the same ring they had showed us and we had paid for! :growlmad: He was very angry and insisted on having another ring re-sized for us and they did it. We ended up with an even better quality ring than what we paid for (when we had it insured, it was inspected and insured at 5x the price we paid for it). So the loupe saved us from being ripped off.

Hi

It depends on your budget.. But Hatton Garden in London is the 'known' jewellery quarter and has loads and loads of shops which will suit all budget... It does have some very expensive places though - but you get the correct quality, so it's worth it.

Just make sure you get your diamond certification for insurance purposes and peace of mind!! :)

Oh and dont forget you can haggle a bit off the price.. Mine was prices at £3999.00 and we got it for £3200.00. So you can definitely get a good chunk of the price off at a place like that!

My DH went to a jewellery designer, my e-ring and wedding band were designed for me. And plus the price was much better than a jewellery store, because they always up the prices once they get it from the designer. My engagement ring is insured for double the price that my husband paid for it. I actually gave my DH a picture of a ring I loved from a magazine (a very highend designer ring, which we could never afford) and he gave it to guy who made mine, and it is an exact replica. Besides the fact that the center stone is a little smaller. But still with over a carat for an amazing price. Good luck, I hope you find something you love.

Well we went to Lakeside today knowing there was a better variety of shops. My budget went from £350 to £500 yesterday. Then £800 to £1000 today. Well saw one in the window of a jewellers for just under £1000, took a look at it and it fit! The label also said it was originally £300 more. I'm chuffed to bits with value for money coz we got more diamond than I was expecting - a 41pt Ascher cut and it's on platinum. It was from a jewellers called Fraser Hart and I have a 10yr guarantee and they will inspect, clean and polish it every 6 months for free so I felt much more secure about buying it.

So YAY:happydance: OH told his Dad and went straight on Facebook to change our relationship status :happydance:

Ta da.

Thanks everyone for your support :hugs:

Attachments

• ring bigger.jpg
    ring bigger.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 8
I hear Ernest Jones are good, I wouldn;t go H Samuel as my mother got a platinum engagement ring from there and the quality of it now is really poor so its a little substandard platinum.... Just shop around for the good deals, there are always some around! :D

What a gorgeous ring! Congratulations! :hugs:

As a side note, I love Lakeside xD so many shops! :D

My boyo ordered my diamond from SA, spoke to umpteen jewellers up and down the country and finally settled on one in Birminghamd jewellery quarter to take delivery of it and make the band and finally piece the two together and it is amazing so can highly recommend going there.

However, since you don't live in Birmingham I think Ernest Jones is pretty good :thumbup:

xxx

Edit! How did I miss that!?! :dohh: Gorgeous!!!!!! And huge Congratualations!!!!!!!

my ring was my moms ring. She just got it sized and turned into white gold for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->