Non-hormonal BC experiences?

Sakura15

Reaction score
:hi: Hi ladies,

I plan to come off my Mirena some time next month, and when I do, I will have been on and off (but mostly on) hormonal birth control for 10+ years. We plan to use non-hormonal bc for a few months whilst I figure out my cycles. OH is okay with using condoms during that time, but also considering other methods. A few I remember learning about as an embarrassed school-girl, others I've seen in the little waiting room pamphlets, but I really don't have any experience with anything besides condoms. Wondering if we should test drive other options while I still have the safety of the Mirena?

What are/have been your experiences with barrier methods like female condoms, diaphragms, contraceptive sponges....? Spermicides?

What about the rhythm method, pulling out and "outercourse"? In theory they seem well and good, but have you been able to stick to only these types of strategies 100% or do you use a back-up barrier method?

we were planning on doing the same thing. i'm currently on the implant and have been for 6 years. i want to use a non hormonal method from when my implant runs out (august) until we're ready to ttc (about 5 months later).

Condoms are just condoms, female condoms are just more expensive! no experience with sponges. I asked my doctor about diaphragms and in his words "they're a good cure for infertility" but i'm still willing to give it a go. If, like me, you're looking to become pregnant soon anyway - any accidents will be a happy surprise :D

sorry not a lot of help but at least i'm in the same boat!

I'm thinking of this too maybe try natural family planning. Use opks to work out fertile time/ovulation and don't have sex during that time only or use pull out method during fertile time but risky I think. Lots of people seem to use pull out method as long as your careful.

Hi Sakura,

I have used Fertility Awareness Method after reading the book "Taking charge of your fertility by Toni Weschler." Me and my husband have been using this method for the last 3 years successfully. I strongly recommend that you get a copy of this book and read it for yourself. You will be amazed with how much information there is on the topic of fertility, natural birth control etc.

It basically boils down to the fact that a woman is only ever fertile for about 6 days of her cycle. During those 6 days you could either abstain from intercourse or use a barrier such as a condom/diaphragm etc. It works really well. The logic behind it is -NO EGG- no baby!

Take care.O:)

My BCP prescription ran out last September, so we've been using a combination of pull out/condom/knowing my cycle. So far it's worked great!

Thanks a lot ladies. In the initial stages, I imagine it will be really difficult to avoid fertile days because I won't know my cycle and who knows how long it will take to get regular again.

Maybe the diaphragm isn't worth it then Emmysocks? I might still get one and try it out....maybe...

I think I'll look up that book, BeckyTy. Once my cycles settle down there's no reason that can't work for me if the rhythm method is working for all you ladies so well!

i might get that book too. am also just thinking just come off bcp and try straight away.

It seems trying right away after bcp does work for some - many people get pregnant and carry a baby full-term without a single period in between. You might be lucky :)

In my case, I got pregnant last year when I "came off bcp" accidentally - I was really busy and stressed and didn't even realise I hadn't started my new pack of pills! By the time I caught myself and did the math, I was already in the TWW zone. That ended in an early loss, though. It's hard to say what the reason was, but I think I'd feel much more secure giving my lining a chance to rebuild and my hormones a chance to regulate.

It seems trying right away after bcp does work for some - many people get pregnant and carry a baby full-term without a single period in between. You might be lucky :)

In my case, I got pregnant last year when I "came off bcp" accidentally - I was really busy and stressed and didn't even realise I hadn't started my new pack of pills! By the time I caught myself and did the math, I was already in the TWW zone. That ended in an early loss, though. It's hard to say what the reason was, but I think I'd feel much more secure giving my lining a chance to rebuild and my hormones a chance to regulate.

Yea I know what you mean maybe just give it a month to rebuild. I do worry that bcp has really effected my fertility. It cant be good stopping ovulation all those years????

i think i might still give diaphragm a go. My GP said to check with the family planning clinic about what they recommend. My main concern is when i first come off the implant i won't have any idea when i'm fertile and my cycle will be all over the place. I'd like to give it a chance to return to normal before trying. Also my implant finishes in august and we're not ttc until January - i don't want to mess up my body by going straight onto another hormonal contraceptive.

At the moment thinking to use pull out and diaphragm as extra at least until my cycles even out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->