Non Stress Test

Sarahrei

Zoe P <3
Reaction score
Hey Ladies,

So I'm due on Saturday and my Doc says that it's standard to do a NST a couple days after your due date if you haven't had the baby yet to make sure that they're still "happy in there"

I've never had one of these before, so what can I expect?

Nothing to worry about at all. They're going to put two monitors on your belly just like they do when you're in labor. One will measure the baby's heartbeat and the other will monitor if you're having any contractions. They leave you on for at least 20 min and make sure the baby is moving enough and causing his or heart rate to speed up a little at times. I always drink a little juice before the test to make sure baby is up & active. Good luck!

They'll just put the heart monitor and contraction monitor on you for awhile and watch the baby's heartrate along with any contractions you have. You may have to lay there awhile. I was supposed to start them this week, but the U/S tech just did a BPP instead when she did my U/S.

They will hook you up to a monitor that will listen to the baby's heartrate, and if you are having any contractions. They want to make sure the baby's heartrate has so many accelerations in a certain about of time. They will also make you hit a button every time you feel the baby move. If baby cooperates it could take 20 minutes, but sometimes if baby is sleeping and not moving much, it can take an hour or more for the Dr. to be satisfied with HR accelerations and movement. Think of it as a time to of relaxation...a time for you to be alone, watch TV, read a book...just you and your baby's HR. :)

As the other ladies said the two moniters but not everyone will have you click on movement. My sister had to do the clicking but I haven't had to do that. If they notice baby isn't too active they'll give you some juice or a wiggle to lo going to see the heartrate react appropriately. Really kind of boring but you get to listen to lo for a bit :)

I've had to have it done twice. Mia hates the straps and starts kicking up a storm as soon as the monitors hit my belly!

I really enjoyed my NST! Found it really interesting to watch the numbers rise on the baby's heart rate monitor as I had a couple of contractions. And it was reassuring to know he is happy in there

Docs only need 10 movements in an hour, my baby is jumping non stop so the first time I had the test I was down for 1 hour but the movements were countless! The last time i had it they only had me for like 15 minutes on the recliner, as I said my baby is non stop moving little ball of energy. They want to see the heart rate and the movements.
The further along you are in your pregnancy typically the less movements the baby makes. But there are exceptions like me.

I actually look forward to NST time...a good excuse to put my feet up in a comfy chair in a quiet place with no work/kids/husband to bug me for a good 20-30 min :)

LOL!

My husband is going to come with me to keep me company, just in case she needs to be induced he will already be there as he works almost 2 hours away.

My doctor said yesterday that my cervix was thinned, so fingers crossed that means that she'll get here on her own before wednesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->