Non traditional wedding ideas?

Squashy

Reaction score
So me and OH are thinking how to get married. Neither of us wants a big white wedding, nor a small wedding with friends and family, nor a holiday in the sun just us. I would love to just walk into a registry office, sign a piece of paper and leave, happy knowing that we are now a married couple and smugly just go on with my life. OH kind of wants this as doesn't want a fuss, but at same time he makes suggestions about going to Gretna Green, or on a motorbike ride or something. I feel that he wants to do SOMETHING for our wedding, to have some tale to tell, but I'm just not bothered about doing anything. To make the man happy we will probably do something, but not sure what. Did anyone do, or is planning to do, anything other than a traditional wedding? What ideas did you come across along the way? I'm just excited to get it done at last :happydance:

Well my mum is getting married next year & she's going to get married in the registry office, then going for a meal at a local restaurant & then we will all be going bowling :) I love the idea and think it's going to be quite a fun memorable day & not traditional at all :) xx

Well my mum is getting married next year & she's going to get married in the registry office, then going for a meal at a local restaurant & then we will all be going bowling :) I love the idea and think it's going to be quite a fun memorable day & not traditional at all :) xx

Hi, that sounds a nice relaxed way to get married, I'm sure it will be lovely! We're not thinking of inviting any guests so I'm not sure it would be right for us. Writing it here it actually sounds a tad selfish that we don't want guests, but I like the idea of a stress free day just for us. Definitely going for something non traditional and relaxed :happydance:

I'd do something that means something to you both as a couple. Like if you go to the football together, get married in the registry office, don your football scarf and head to the match.......your with thousands of other people, but you two will have this secret that you two just got married:cloud9: or whatever your into.........make it about you both as a couple rather than just a way to remember the day (I don't think I explained that well:haha:)

My parents got married just the two of them (aside from two witnesses obviously) and then got on a train with a slice of fruit cake (read wedding cake :haha:) to Bournemouth for their honeymoon. I think it is lovely.

My DH and I invited people (registry office followed by a BBQ so really chilled out) and I regret it, so renewing our vows on a beach just the two of us.

If I had my turn again, I would get married in Scotland because a beach or mountain really appeal to me and you can do outdoor weddings there but not here. Maybe something like that would appeal to you?

I'd do something that means something to you both as a couple. Like if you go to the football together, get married in the registry office, don your football scarf and head to the match.......your with thousands of other people, but you two will have this secret that you two just got married:cloud9: or whatever your into.........make it about you both as a couple rather than just a way to remember the day (I don't think I explained that well:haha:)

Yes, I like the idea of doing something that is 'us' and just enjoying our day, just not sure what yet. :thumbup:

My parents got married just the two of them (aside from two witnesses obviously) and then got on a train with a slice of fruit cake (read wedding cake :haha:) to Bournemouth for their honeymoon. I think it is lovely.

My DH and I invited people (registry office followed by a BBQ so really chilled out) and I regret it, so renewing our vows on a beach just the two of us.

If I had my turn again, I would get married in Scotland because a beach or mountain really appeal to me and you can do outdoor weddings there but not here. Maybe something like that would appeal to you?

Your parents wedding sounds fab :thumbup: very much like what I'm feeling I would like. We're not really holiday people, if we go somewhere we like to have something there that we are wanting to do, like going to an event of some sort. With having a BBQ or party of some sort we're not really wanting to have our families or friends involved so wouldn't be our thing. It's not that we don't like our relatives or friends, it's just that we don't want a fuss or the stress and it would be nice if our wedding was just a little celebration of our relationship just for us. I have three ideas so far, first we could go up to Gretna Green, get married then go off riding some of the great roads up in Scotland that we'd probably not make an effort to go and do otherwise. Second idea, we could get married in local registry office then go riding to New Forest/ Poole/ Isle of Wight as they're places we know we'll enjoy (We go to Poole on Tuesdays when we can during summer). Last idea, get married in local reg office then go on one of the big bike rides of the year, like the ace cafe rockers reunion run and be all smug and happy surrounded by thousands of people but in our own little bubble. I like all those ideas, but will give it more thought. The idea of getting married outside is nice, shame we can't do that in England as we'd do it in our fave biking venue car park lol :haha:

To get around the outside wedding laws, we're having a small 15 minute legal ceremony at the registry office and then having our true 'wedding' (yes not legal, but who cares) in our venue on the gorgeous roof terrace :)

To get around the outside wedding laws, we're having a small 15 minute legal ceremony at the registry office and then having our true 'wedding' (yes not legal, but who cares) in our venue on the gorgeous roof terrace :)

That sounds a great plan! I hadn't even considered ways around the rules to do something like that. Again, we're not really wanting to have guests, but maybe get married legally and then go to somewhere meaningful to us (like our fave car park lol!). That has given me something to think about, thanks xxx

I am planning a wedding soon. Want to do something similar- small ceremony at the Courthouse, then a party with family after! No need for a big white wedding, but we want a small celebration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->