Normal for 2 year old not to care if you cry?

Sander

Reaction score
So I had an emotional moment today with my son’s potty training efforts ending up a total disaster. DH took over and I went into our room and started crying - he opened the door and my 2 year old ran in. He saw me crying (I was really upset - thanks hormones), but he didn’t seem to care? He just carried on being crazy and jumping around - he did say: ‘mama cry’ so he saw that I was upset, he just didn’t have a reaction.

I don’t really know what I would have expected, I just don’t know if that’s a normal thing or? Like at this age are they supposed to respond to your emotions or is he still too young for that?

That's normal. Everything revolves around them at that age so it would be unlikely for him to be sympathetic unless he was affected by it <3

Agreed. My son just started hugging me or patting me on the back when I cry. Full disclosure, my son is diagnosed mild ASD. But even the kids not on the spectrum that I know only recently started showing interest in taking care of others. It’s just something they pick up over time. And honestly it’s because I started narrating my feelings. Mommy is crying. Mommy is sad. Can Mommy have a hug? Oh thank you. Your hugs make me feel better. That kind of thing. Same idea when he’s hurt. But honestly I wouldn’t stress.

Sorry you had a rough go. Potty training is such a stressful time

Yeah completely normal. My son was exactly the same at 2. Now at 3 and a half he's only recently started to notice others emotions and even then can be hit and miss with how he reacts. As for the toilet training he's only recently cracked that too so try not to worry. I was getting really worried and suddenly all by himself he decided to just do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->