Normal intake for a 6 week old?

Bunny_Boo

Reaction score
My LO is 6 weeks and on aptamil comfort for reflux and has been downing 6oz bottles for a week now and started to get noticeably hungry afterwards when he chews his hands :dohh: I gave him a 7oz bottle and he's downed that and still chewed his hands! Not as much mind you but I think he could of had a bit more. Is it okay to feed him this much? He feed every 2-4 hours during the day and sleeps from about 9-5 at night then down again for a few hours after his feed, so is a very good sleeper.

What's your little ones weight?

The advice my HV gave was that you can't over feed a baby and if they are downing bottles to up them.

He's 11lbs 5.5oz now. His birth weight was 8lbs 8.5oz.

I always believe you can't overfeed and if they are hungry feed them but I didn't realise what he is taking isn't normal and quite a bit difference from the norm :haha:

You could ask your HV, but if little one is being sick a lot with reflux they will need more fluid. Mine is 12lb2 and is on 5oz of SMA every 2-3 hours (when she wants it!)

He was never properly sick with his reflux, just the odd spitting up and hasn't done it since changing milk. When I was little you couldn't fill me so maybe he's taking after me :dohh:

Will definitely ask my HV, just wouldn't like to think it'll do him any harm feeding him that much

I am sure your not, you can't let them go hungry at the end of the day!

He could also be comfort feeding because of his reflux? LO was doing this for the first 7 weeks and the HV asked us to come in more regularly to check on her weight as she was putting on more than was expected.
We didn't actually know that it was because if reflux until now though as the last week or 2 she has been the complete opposite and it's now so hard to get a feed into her. She's gone from at least 32 ounces a day to about 22 ounces. :flower:

He's 7 weeks tomorrow and is now drinking 8oz.... :haha: his weight gain has been perfect, although the HV hasn't been this week and isn't coming til next. He's been staying perfectly on the 75th centile so so far his weight has been okay. Not sure if it'll stay that way now that he's taking 8oz! I often have to give him his dummy and that stops him acting like I never feed him!

My LO is 6 weeks and on aptamil comfort for reflux and has been downing 6oz bottles for a week now and started to get noticeably hungry afterwards when he chews his hands :dohh: I gave him a 7oz bottle and he's downed that and still chewed his hands! Not as much mind you but I think he could of had a bit more. Is it okay to feed him this much? He feed every 2-4 hours during the day and sleeps from about 9-5 at night then down again for a few hours after his feed, so is a very good sleeper.

Hi ladies! I was just about to post the same question…. DD is six weeks and this last few days she´s gone from 4-5 oz feeds to 6 oz feeds (and asking for more!) every 3-4 hours during the day and around every 5-7 during the night, she´s also on the Comfort formula for reflux, DH thinks this formula is too light and doesn´t fill her up, I´ve also read that babies usually go on a growth sprut at this week…who knows!! All I know is that I haven´t got the courage to give her the 7th oz when she asks for it, I have the feeling she´s gonna burst :haha: so I just give her a pacifier and it seems to work fine. She was under 6lb at birth and now she is 8 pounds. :flower:

Oh! another thing!! According to all the charts and formula labels I´ve read :coffee: 6-7oz feeds are for 3 month old babies, not 6 week olds!! This is what makes me think LO is eating too much…. yet many moms in the forums say that their babies are eating 6oz at six weeks, so I guess real moms and their real babies are more of a reference than books and research??? :wacko: I don´t know!! :dohh: it´s hard being a first time mom, isn´t it?

How have you and your babies been doing?? any changes?? :flower:

Hi! My LO is 8 weeks tomorrow and now on 8oz :dohh: he is going through his growth spurt but he's taking less more often so it's not that that's making him hungry for 8oz.

I think he's going to burst too! Lol. It makes his reflux bad when he drinks this much because it's so much and obv milk is thin, even the comfort milk isn't helping because he's taking so much. It's as if his tummy is full of milk but still not satisfying him.

Hi ladies! I was just about to post the same question…. DD is six weeks and this last few days she´s gone from 4-5 oz feeds to 6 oz feeds (and asking for more!) every 3-4 hours during the day and around every 5-7 during the night, she´s also on the Comfort formula for reflux, DH thinks this formula is too light and doesn´t fill her up, I´ve also read that babies usually go on a growth sprut at this week…who knows!! All I know is that I haven´t got the courage to give her the 7th oz when she asks for it, I have the feeling she´s gonna burst :haha: so I just give her a pacifier and it seems to work fine. She was under 6lb at birth and now she is 8 pounds. :flower:

If a dummy (pacifier) is working perhaps it is that she is sucking for comfort more than anything?
Just an idea as our HV thinks that LO may have been eating so much in the first few weeks because of this. I'm not sure this was defiantly the reason but since she has been prescribed gaviscon and we introduced a dummy at 7 weeks she has slowed right down. :)

Oh! another thing!! According to all the charts and formula labels I´ve read :coffee: 6-7oz feeds are for 3 month old babies, not 6 week olds!! This is what makes me think LO is eating too much…. yet many moms in the forums say that their babies are eating 6oz at six weeks, so I guess real moms and their real babies are more of a reference than books and research??? :wacko: I don´t know!! :dohh: it´s hard being a first time mom, isn´t it?

How have you and your babies been doing?? any changes?? :flower:

Ignore the charts!! I was told to ignore them every baby is different! Mine is on 6oz now I put her on at 7 weeks :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->