Normal to feel sad for 1st birthday?

spunky84

TTC #4
Reaction score
I've been so excited about LO's birthday tomorrow, and even more so lately.

I spent 6 hours last weekend baking her cake(s) and about 12 hours today decorating. As the hours have ticked by, I feel the excitement slowly leaking out and sadness coming in.

DH and I were driving to a restaurant to meet my mom, dad and LO (my mom and dad took LO to visit a friend so I could work on her cake). For some reason during the drive, I just started crying over it. No idea why.

I feel sad about her turning 1. I don't know why. She's growing up. I love her to pieces, and I don't know why I'm feeling so sad over something exciting.

I have been looking at her (newborn) pictures a lot lately, and it just feels so hard to believe that she was so small at one point. It's hard to even remember life before her.

As the clock keeps ticking closer, the more I wish I could just pause time and stay where we're at for just a little bit longer.

She's been starting to walk, but not with a lot of confidence. For some reason today, she's just been starting to walk all over the place. She's becoming confident. She's making the decision to walk somewhere rather than just from encouragement from us.

Maybe it's just all these big changes. She's growing up. Is it normal to get this emotional over LO's birthday?

I totally understand. : ) For me, it is the feeling that time is flying. We have a 4 year old, and are expecting #2 in October. I'm a teacher, and the night before I went back on contract, I had a total meltdown...because it was the last summer where DS#1 was going to be an only child. I'm SO excited for #2. So is DH, and so even is DS! (He talks to my belly and refers to baby by name.) : ) But just the thought that time has gone by so quickly, he is getting so big, and will start school next year completely bums me out. I love watching him grow, and have so much fun with him as he turns into such a cool little guy. But it is hard to accept that time is passing, and we can't get it back. So while I don't feel "sad" about him getting older, I definitely have some melancholy feelings, and get pretty nostalgic for days past.

BUT! Each new phase has been a blast, and even more fun than the one before!! So take joy in who your little girl is becoming, and make the most of every day. But yes, sister, I feel you! : )

I think it's totally normal! Especially when they start walking, because they're toddling around and that means they're becoming more toddler than baby and well, nooooooooooooooooooooo! ;) It is exciting but definitely don't deny yourself those moments to feel a little sad that your tiny newborn is now walking around and looks like a mini adult!

Mine is almost 11 months (and she's my last) and I'm already thinking about how sad it is that the baby phase is almost over. Luckily she's much slower than her brother to reach all her milestones. I think she'll be more like a 15 month walker, so it's like she knows I'd like the baby phase to last longer - little darling ;)

DD is 5 months and I am already bummed about her 1st birsthday.

I cried because she was ready for solids before I was ready to give them.

I did well enough today :)

It was just way too busy to feel too sad. I watched some videos last night from before we went to the hospital to be induced, her 24 hour birthday (lol), and a sponge bath when she was a week old. She was just looking around while my mom wiped her ears and face (and while DH and I were going back and forth one whether or not the camera was focused lol).

While sad, I think it kind of helped.

She had a rough first half of the day (her top 2 teeth are ready to push through and she's miserable!). The second half of the afternoon she's been smiley and walking all over the place (she's about 50% walking, 50% crawling).

I can only imagine where she's headed from here! I can't imagine her talking and conversing. I can't imagine her starting kindergarten. I imagine all of these things will feel similar in regards in being torn between being excited and sad. I know it's going to completely break my heart the day she doesn't need me to hold her hand, or when she doesn't want to hug me in public, etc.

I have never felt like this but if you feel it then its normal for you so dont worry. Think of all the great times ahead!

I cried on my daughter's first birthday as I couldn't believe how fast it had gone. Time just whizzes by. You have so much to look forward to though. :)

Considering I cry every time my dd turns a week older, I would think it's fairly normal! I am glad the actual day went fairly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->