Northern Ireland Homebirth... this is gonna be a nightmare.

NuKe

mummy to 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
I am 100% for having a homebirth. Planning on getting a pool and using natal hypnotherapy. I've been looking into it and I reckon I'm going to have an utter nightmare fighting for it. It's not my legal right. On mainland UK, yes it is. Northern Ireland... :nope: What a bloody joke. If anyone has any links or advice, I'd love it! :flower:

I'm not sure how things work over there but can you afford an independent midwife at all?

they don't exist here!!! :grr: because homebirths are virtually unheardof, theres no demand! theres a doula network but no private mws! :cry:

I had my daughter in the home from home ward at the ulster hospital.

Not the same as a homebirth but it was nice and the midwife left us to it and only got involved when I needed to push.

It's crap that there aren't the same options for us here than on the mainland x

i agree sam. its really unfair. i live quite a while away from the ulster so thats not really an option!

and come check out our NI thread in the local buddies section!

Did you know they're taking that right from women in Scotland too? My SIL is an ex mw, she is disgusted at the way things are going. At the moment it's just a couple of health boards, but more will follow suit. It'll all be to save money. Also, independent mw are, or will soon be, unable to practice, because of changes made to their indemnity insurance - mw can only be insured if they are contracted to the NHS.

It's ridiculous! :(

Wow I didn't know it was so difficult here! Tbh, a homebirth only fleetingly crossed my mind as I don't think it would work in our house, but I would've really loved to have one. Have you asked at the docs/hospital yet, or is it just common knowledge that they are to be fought for?

Congrats btw!! Woohoo :D

ty jenny! i spoke to the hospital and they said it shouldnt be a problem... but ive still to talk to my comm mw so we'll see!

Good luck! I hope they say yes, it'd be such a wonderful experience. I didn't really like the hospital - well, the birth was fine, but the stay was not. :/

exact same as me then! birth was great... hated everything following that. barry being sent home, loads of babies crying all night, ridiculously hot, and the next day- i was in the bed next to the window and the sun was pelting down on me, i was sweating like an absolute beast as its so hot in that ward already, but they wudnt let me close the curtains!

Which hospital was it? I was in the royal,and am again :dohh:

On my last day, they had no running water...!

:shock:

The royal last time, antrim this time :wacko:

I wanted the Mater this time but they only have one birthing pool whereas the Royal have 2, so didn't want to risk a pool not being free.

Am hoping its an in and out job. I don't want to be hanging round those busy, overcrowded wards!

well i had an epidural (bloody thing didnt make a blind bit of difference), so even though it hadnt worked they still put a catheter in. so i had to stay overnight to make sure i was weeing properly :wacko: but even at that, i discharged myself 21 hours after giving birth!

That's a real shame! You would think homebirthing would be an option no matter what. Someone needs to get off their butt and fix that system! Good luck!!!

Oh what a nightmare - I do hope you can get the support to have a homebirth. There was a report on BBC Newsline the other week about how they are trying to change the system to promote home births and to have more midwife-led units and to encourage more people to use them. Will probably take years to get anything done though :shrug: Good luck!

Aw thanks Speccy! It irritates me sometimes that although we are part of the UK, there are sooo many things that we don't benefit from. This being a prime example, another being reasonably priced bloody car insurance!

Urgh yes, and it takes them bloody forever to get anything done at Stormont. Have you seen the ad on TV for car insurance though that says at the bottom "excluding England, Wales and Scotland" - cracks me up every time :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->