Norvovirus - how protected is a bf baby?

Clo

mum 2 an angel boy, and 2 rainbow boys
Reaction score
I currently have norvovirus (caught off my DH who had it 4 days ago) and was very sick (and the other end) all yesterday afternoon and last night. I continued to feed my 4 week old ds through the afternoon/night and just wondered how protected he is with being bf? I'd hate for him to catch it with him being so little.

I also have a 2.5 year old and dreading him catching it too :-( xxx

my lo is breastfed and caught it at 12 months. You could always ring your mw and ask though.

My second youngest and youngest both got norovirus, my youngest at 4 months, second youngest was at about 7 months. My youngest was very poorly but he didn't have to have any special treatment or go to hospital as may have happened if he was FF and he recovered very quickly with just EBF. Also didn't have the diarrhoea only the vomiting. Recently my other boys caught noro again :( not sure if the same strain or a slightly different one but my youngest was completely fine xx

Thanks hun, was really hoping he would be immune if I was feeding him :-( x

You would have to come into contact with that particular strain of norovirus first I think for her to be immune via your milk. However if they do get it, BF is the best for them and enables them to recover quicker. When we had the first bout of norovirus my second youngest was still BF and he was only sick once that time and recovered really quickly, the second time when he had stopped BF he was really poorly and continued to be sick at least once a day for about a week :( xx

:-( that sounds awful the second time round. xxx

My LO also got it at just shy of 4 months and had to be in hospital overnight on a drip. I was given bad advice at first though and told not to breastfeed, when we started feeding again, she recovered well

Well I caught it before him so hoping if he does get it that he will have at least got some antibodies from me. It's been 5 days since his dad had it and almost 48 hours since I started with it so I guess it's just a waiting game to see if him or his brother catch it too
. xxx

Everyone in my house plus my mum had it, except DS!
DD caught it first, then me, then OH (who is still not 100%).

DS has a bit of a cough and has been sick more than normal but tbh, it's only a tiny bit more than normal spit up so I don't actually think he's got it, or if he has he's dealing with it extremely well! Haha. I'm putting it down to BF :)

:-( that sounds awful the second time round. xxx

It was but thankfully that time my youngest was totally fine, it was just my second youngest. After the initial first day of him being sick he was ok in himself but just kept throwing up once a day in the middle of the night if I hear him cough or burp now while he is asleep I get scared he is going to throw up again even though this was around a month ago xx

I just got over the stomach bug a couple days ago. I kept feeding my 4 month old and made sure to wash my hands a lot. I dont think LO got it.

Thanks everyone.

Ds1 has just been sick this morning so looks like hes got it! Ds2 hasn't been sick but has done a few huge poos today so not sure if he's starting with it too...

...just found out today that ds2 has a hernia that needs operating on too so not having the best of days! xxx

Hope ds2 hasn't got it and sorry to hear about the hernia :( In my experience BF babies with norovirus tend to either not suffer any diarrhoea or have a couple of loose stools after the vomiting has stopped, so hopefully the extra dirty nappies today aren't a sign of noro xx

Thanks hun :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->