Not a Clue

LeahJ7712

Mommy to 2 beauties
Reaction score
I'm so annoyed that people keep telling when I have real contractions I'll know. I'm a first time mom and have no clue what its supposed to feel like which makes it impossible for me time them because I'm so unsure. People say they feel like bad menstrual cramp but I never had menstrual cramps when I got my period (lucky 3day periods and no cramps).

So annoyed how will I know? Anyone else in the same boat?

I don't know either. My dr said belly will get very hard, but my stomach is always hard lol. Also i was told you will notice pain start from beginning.

I'm not to sure either! My doctor said that with most women it's a cramp that starts in your lower back, working its way to the front of your bump, kinda slowly taking over your whole bump.

W my first I was scared I wouldnt know...but trust me you will know lol... pain an pulling...

I was in the same boat as you are as a 1st timer.
My waters broke during the early hours and contractions started about an hour later. I had mild cramps throughout the day before but when the real contractions started, I couldn't 100 % tell u if I would have known "this is it" unless my waters hadn't broken. Hopefully your body will tell u, as mine did with your waters going 1st. Good luck with the birth, it's the most surreal experience you'll ever live through x

I know it's annoying when people say that, but it is honestly true. You can't fail to have pain like it and not know that they are anything but contractions. There really is nothing else like it. Regular, painful tightenings that come AND go. My waters never broke - I didn't need that to happen to know that the intense pain was anything but a contraction. You get to a point where you can't talk through them - that is when things are really moving along. I can't wait to feel that all again (am I a bit weird?! lol)
Rx

To begin with you'll probably not know or notice, but when they get painful enough to notice, and then you'll think hold on, I'm getting these every few minutes lol, so then you'll break out the timer. Most people have plenty of time in their first labour, and it will build up gradually. If it is a case of it hitting you like a tonne of bricks, then you'll know as the proper contractions are really painful (stop you doing anything but concentrating on drawing air into your lungs). Having said that, some women are really lucky, and don't have that until the very end.

Basically, try not to worry. Your body will tell you when you're in labour....whatever form it takes for you :thumbup: Good luck x

I know it's annoying when people say that, but it is honestly true. You can't fail to have pain like it and not know that they are anything but contractions. There really is nothing else like it. Regular, painful tightenings that come AND go. My waters never broke - I didn't need that to happen to know that the intense pain was anything but a contraction. You get to a point where you can't talk through them - that is when things are really moving along. I can't wait to feel that all again (am I a bit weird?! lol)
Rx

Nope! I felt the same way with my 2nd and even more so now with my 3rd on the way. Labour is at once the most excruciatingly painful, and most amazingly exciting thing you'll ever do! lol

I'm a ftm, never had menstrual cramps and mW said my bump is the hardest she's felt in a long while! I also have a really high pain tolerance so I'm worried I'll miss the early ones!!

If you've never had menstual cramps, have you ever had really bad gas pains (like you either really have to fart or poop, but you're not sure which)- often followed by diarrhea? Its kinds like that. Only it will start mild and continue to get stronger. You'll feel it, then it will go away, then it will come back, etc. Some people just the recurring pain in their back- usually lower back. (My sister got very little abdominial pain, but her back hurt so bad she couldn't stand up.) You may start to notice it and not think much of it. As it gets worse though, you won't be able to continue whatever you're doing. You'll find yourself having to stop and wait it out. That is a contraction. If you have to stop what you're doing, start to pay attention to how long you have to stop your activity, then how long until you have to stop again.

I know it is the most frustrating thing in the world to hear, but it really is true- you will know it when you feel it (at least eventually- probably not in the very beginning - and that is ok).

I have been told this too, that I will know when it's real labour. I think that's true, I don't know what it feels like yet, I get tons of Braxton Hicks and I have a high pain tolerance, so how will I know? But I think it will be different when it's actually labour and I'm pretty sure I'll just be able to tell the difference somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->