Not bump related but has anyone ever broken a rib?

KimmyLou

Reaction score
Hi,
I have had an awful cough for weeks and finally it started to ease off this week. I've been left with crippling pain on my right side about 3 ribs up from the bottom. I have been putting it down to baby stretching muscles, pulled muscle etc. Now I'm wondering if I have maybe cracked it coughing so hard. I know the space is more limited now anyway.
Literally it hurts when I breathe in, coughing is awful, sneezing is awful, lying down in any position apart from flat on my back is awful too. Since the weekend, ive barely slept with the pain as well. The pain when I touch the rib makes the pain excruciating too.
I know that the dr can't do anything for it, which is why I haven't been to see them. Does anyone know any remedies to help at all? I've been taking paracetamol which hasn't helped at all.
Thanks x

I had this happen a few years ago, my heart goes out to you xx My doctor said there is nothing you can do (ie: strap it etc), you just have to wait for it to heal :( It took about 6-8 weeks before the pain disappeared. I found panadol didn't work either. I do think a trip to the doctor would be a good idea, just for pain relief as the ideal thing to take is ibuprofen but obviously you can't take that. See what the doc can go to you xxx
So much love to you <3 I hope it heals up quickly for you xx

I work as a pulmonary nurse and this pain is really common. However, I've never seen somebody break their rib from coughing and I work with really frail patients. Have you been checked out for pneumonia?

As pp said unfortunately you just have to let it heal.. I would get the cough checked out if you haven't already.. I've cracked a rib but not from coughing.

I had this happen a few years ago, my heart goes out to you xx My doctor said there is nothing you can do (ie: strap it etc), you just have to wait for it to heal :( It took about 6-8 weeks before the pain disappeared. I found panadol didn't work either. I do think a trip to the doctor would be a good idea, just for pain relief as the ideal thing to take is ibuprofen but obviously you can't take that. See what the doc can go to you xxx
So much love to you <3 I hope it heals up quickly for you xx

Thankyou. I tried to get an appointment earlier but the Drs was fully booked so will have to wait until next week now. Just got to keep taking paracetamol and hoping the pain eases a bit! Xx

I work as a pulmonary nurse and this pain is really common. However, I've never seen somebody break their rib from coughing and I work with really frail patients. Have you been checked out for pneumonia?

No, I went to the Drs last week with the cough and they sent me away saying it was made worse with baby pushing everything up. Hopefully when I get to see the dr again next week, they will be able to reassure me if nothing else. Thankyou xx

This just happened to me, except I think mine was just a pulled or bruised muscle from coughing. And my sister in law is a x-ray tech and said that cracked ribs rarely happen from coughing unless your frail from a disease or elderly. So that made me feel better. I just used the heating pad on the area a lot and tried stretching it out, I could stretch to the one side. And it seemed to help it. It still is achy there and tender to touch but nothing compared to how it was. I hope this helps you. Like you said, you need to cough, but it is horrible!!

This just happened to me, except I think mine was just a pulled or bruised muscle from coughing. And my sister in law is a x-ray tech and said that cracked ribs rarely happen from coughing unless your frail from a disease or elderly. So that made me feel better. I just used the heating pad on the area a lot and tried stretching it out, I could stretch to the one side. And it seemed to help it. It still is achy there and tender to touch but nothing compared to how it was. I hope this helps you. Like you said, you need to cough, but it is horrible!!

Thankyou, it is good to hear it's more than likely bruising. Will try a heat pad and stretching! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->