Not exactly a home birth question but I need help!

pinklizzy

Mummy to two little bears
Reaction score
I have a question about giving birth at my local birth centre. It was always my plan to deliver with the community midwives who are all lovely and the birth centre is literally next door to my house so it really would be the next best thing to being at home.
However, my BMI is 1 point above the protocol where the midwives have to refer you to consultant care :nope: I've spoken to my midwife who assured me that I would still be able to deliver in the birth centre but needed all the information to make an informed choice.
I understand the need to be fully informed but the hospital I'll have to visit has such a negative effect on me, it's like going to the dentist, I just really dread it. I was in there last night being monitored and not surprisingly my BP was high-it has been consistently 120/70 prior to this.
Sorry this is such a ramble, I'm really just trying to sort it out in my own head I suppose but what I'm worried about it, if I go to the consultant appointment and they take my BP and it's high, can they force me to deliver in the hospital.
The though of spending the last 10 weeks of my pregnancy knowing I will have to go there makes me feel sick to my stomach :cry:
I want to do what's best for my baby of course but I feel that I'm being treated as a statistic to fit their protocols, rather than my care being based on a clinical judgement.
Do any of you lovely ladies have any advice?

Personally, I've never agreed with the whole "BMI" classification, and if they're saying you're only 1 point over, then I really don't think it's anything to worry about. All they can do is advise you - ultimately you're the one that makes the decision about where to birth your baby. There's a lady on here who's a midwife, so perhaps she'll come on here and give you some advice from a medical perspective. xx

The whole BMI argument is a load of tosh! If you search old posts by eternal rose she had a battle with her midwife about it and won!

ultimately it is your decision where you give birth (taking on board advice of course) but think about it this way. If someone who has a 'normal' bmi at booking in puts on 4 stone in her pregnancy and someone with a higher bmi puts on 2 then what does that mean?!?

Thank you both so much ladies, I've had a read through some of those threads and feel like I'm much better informed now. I've made a list of things to ask my midwife next week and my mum is going to come with me for moral support-I'm so emotional at the moment, I don't want to just burst into tears!
Mum is a HV and knows my midwife so I'm hoping that will help. I just want to have as natural a birth as possible!

Honestly only 1 point over!? From how stressed you get from being in hospital, with your blood pressure rising each time you go in there, it sounds like you and your baby will be much more well off birthing in the midwife unit.
I hope your midwife will be supportive of your decision. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->