not much fluid around baby..

Erinsmummy

Pregnant with no6
Reaction score
had a routine appointment with my midwife, she says baby seems to be the right size but im measuring small and she cant feel much fluid, so she is going to get me a growth scan this week sometime. I am 34 weeks, baby is head down now and all movements are good, but this has worried me a bit, i am small, i dont look 34 weeks pregnant at all, i was bigger with my first. What usually happens if fluid is low? midwife said not to worry but i kind of am a bit worried now...

Low fluid can be a sign of other problems, but if baby is measuring ok, I wouldn't worry. It can be a sign of a failing placenta, in which case they'll do a doppler scan of the placenta and cord to check blood flow to baby, and I had growth scans every two weeks. If they think the placenta is failing, they'll give you steroid jabs and do a c section. That is a last resort though. I was diagnosed with severely low fluid at 21 weeks in my last pregnancy, and made it to 34 before they thought he was safer out than in, sadly that wasn't the case, but the low fluid had caused severe iugr. So the fact baby is measuring right size is reassuring that its nothing too serious. Fluid can go up and down from one scan to the next, so try not to worry until you know if there's a reason too x

I was told I have low fluid as well. Doctor said that as long as baby is measuring well that its not too concerning. I believe they worry more if its found earlier like pp said around 21 weeks. I am getting weekly scans and was told to drink a gallon of water daily and to soak in the tub or a pool for 30 mins-1 hr daily as well. I believe that this late in the game it's more common and less of a serious condition. Don't worry if baby is measuring fine.

Never knew that soaking in a pool or bath could up fluid levels. So cool! Hope everything goes well for you, OP!:)

I've had low fluid levels, picked up at 34 weeks. They've done fortnightly scans to check levels again and make sure placenta is still working properly. Normally its nothing to worry about, although it can be a sign of a problem xx

Never knew that soaking in a pool or bath could up fluid levels. So cool! Hope everything goes well for you, OP!:)

I'm a bit skeptical of if it will actually work but I've been soaking daily since the appointment! Curious to see if its helped at all at the next scan on Friday!

I have low fluid as well, but my MW said its nothing to worry about. Mind you my MW says everything is nothing to worry about lol :shrug:

I know as baby gets bigger there is less space and less amniotic fluid around the baby. ... could that be it or do u think not because uve said ur measuring small?

When I went for my final check with the consultant at 39.5 weeks they discovered this, it turned out my waters had gone and I didn't even know! The only time there was one instance when I actually said to my OH that I wondered if they had gone was in my 35th week! As I got up needing a wee at 2am, went or a wee then was about to wipe when suddenly it was like a waterfall and I couldn't stop it with my pelvic floor muscles! But as nothing happened, ie - no pains etc. I ignored it and thought it was just my imagination as I was half asleep at the time! I can't prove that was when thy went but its the only time I wondered if they had

I was told I had low aminiotic fluid at a scan at ~28weeks with my firts. They performed doppler scans to measure the fluid etc and although was low, were not too concerned unless things started to deteriorate. They put me on weekly scans. At 33weeks, baby was in distress and I had an emerg C section as the cord had wrapped around his neck.

My story is not meant to scare you. But never let anyone tell you not to worry. Midwives/doctors are there for you and should answer ALL concerns. Don't be afraid to ask for more information and voice all of your worries.

I know as baby gets bigger there is less space and less amniotic fluid around the baby. ... could that be it or do u think not because uve said ur measuring small?

No idea, i wouldnt have thought anything of it, but midwife just said i am measuring a little bit small, and she cant feel much fluid, but that feeling baby he does seem to be the right size. So i guesse ill just have to wait till the scan... thanks for advice ladies x

With DD1 my fluid level dropped to a 4 when I was 35 weeks. They induced me. With DD2 my level dropped to a 7 at 37 weeks and they induced me as well.

I'm a bit skeptical of if it will actually work but I've been soaking daily since the appointment! Curious to see if its helped at all at the next scan on Friday!

How is this meant to help?

Somehow soaking your body absorbs more water. It was doctors orders. I had a friend that was diagnosed with low fluid at about 33 weeks and she soaked daily and they never had to take baby early. Pretty sure she actually made it to her due date. Like I said, I don't understand how it works but if they doctor told me to do it then that's what I'm doing!

Well unless doctor also says really hot baths are ok i wont be soaking in any water lol, cant stand baths unless they are piping hot! Just found out my scan is on friday so will know more then.

Be careful about the baths until you have had a scan and seen if the levels are low, if they are they may want to check if you are leaking waters (it isnt always obvious as it can be a trickle). If you are leaking waters then it would be recommended no baths as it increases the risk of infection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->