Not really a disappointment...

Spicychick10

baking #1!
Reaction score
Didn't know where else to put this. But today we found out that we are having a little girl. We were kind of used to the idea of a boy because I'm not really a girly girl and hubby wanted a boy to do boy things with. And he feels like he's not emotionally ready to have a girl. He's afraid that he'll be way to overprotective.

My fear is that I won't know if ill bond with a little girl because I'm not that girly. I dress up sometimes and wear makeup but when it comes to doing girly things, I don't lol. I play video games, watch and discuss sports, watch things about zombies and bars(lol).

I just wanted advice on bonding with a girl. Again, I'm not disappointed, just scared. :shrug:

I don't have a girl.. So heck if I know. What I do know is how badly I want a girl, and the fact that you're not a girly girl has NOTHING to do with being a good mom to a girl. That seems to be a lot of mom's concerns.

I am dying for a little girl and I am no girly girl. Not at all. Like I just said in another thread, the girliest things I do are paint my nails and wear earrings lol. I don't own "girly" clothes. I wear hoodies daily, and running shoes. I don't own dress shoes. It really doesn't matter.

I have two boys who are as a matter of fact into zombies lol. Cars, all those "boy" things. As a mom you simply get interested in whatever your kids get interested in you know? Everything your daughter will do will be the most amazing, adorable thing you have ever seen.

Plus, think about it this way... If you're no girly girl, you do all those things you just mentioned... Why would you think YOUR daughter may not be interested in those things?! Don't discount her over her gender! She can choose to enjoy those things, or not really enjoy them right.

Don't worry to much about it. You'll see her little face and simply fall in love!

I have a 2 year old girl so I can only tell you what my experience has been.

I wouldnt worry about bonding because you don't have anything in common! In fact I think it will make it cute and interesting for you. Girls have a way of showing or telling you what they like. My daughter has a baby doll she carries around everywhere,and of coursde as a girl she loves shjoes. But at this age, it doesnt matter if it is her daddy's combat boots or my flip flops!

You never know too, your girl could end up being like you and not into girly stuff as much, maybe she will like sports and cars. Every baby has their own personalities ^_^

I agree that you should not assume she wouldn't be interested in the same stuff you like just because she is a girl. Maybe she'll be just like you!

I don't have experience with this, but before my mom had kids she just wanted boys. She wanted to have 5 boys and no girls because she wasn't a girly girl and was quite the "tomboy" growing up. Turns out she had four girls and a boy... She is now so incredibly happy she had girls, she loves having girls. She desperately wanted ME to have a girl, too (I am having a girl) because she just enjoyed girls so much.

You may get a girly girl and you may get a girl like you, but chances are it will turn out that you really enjoy either one. :)

Thanks ladies for your advice! Really made me feel a lot better. I think I'm just over-thinking it. Especially it being my first child. I really don't know what to expect so I think I'm just worried overall lol.

But thanks again!! :)

I am pregnant with my 3rd girl! I am not a girly girl at all really either, grew up not wearing make up, didn't own a dress until I was in my late teens, wasn't bothered about boys, loved football etc etc. My eldest is the girliest girl you could ever meet, LOVES pink, is better at applying make up than me, worries about what she looks like, her hair etc etc but we are so close (she's 7.... going on 17!). I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared how I'll cope when she's a teenager and probably in to all the things I wasn't at that age but we'll be fine, she's my girl and I love her - and all her pink-ness! (although her bedroom is so pink I feel queasy sometimes!!!).

Congratulations, it is fab having a girl.

I have a daughter that's 15 months old. I've been a girly girl since I can remember, which is why I REALLY wanted a girl the first time around. Turns out... she looks girly, but doesn't act like it! She tends to go for boy toys, loves to be played around with rough, like females as apposed to males. As some others have stated, don't worry too much, if it a girl, she'll show you what SHE likes, whether it be girly activity or not. They really are sweet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->