Not sure I have enough milk??

catty

Reaction score
My daughter is just over 7 weeks now and breastfeeding has been going perfectly. She has had about 5 bottles of expressed milk in her life and a couple bottles of formula but altogether maybe one bottle a week.
Anyway it seems at the end of a feed now she keeps going on and off my nipples frantically and then will cry, it looks as if she wants more but can't get it? Il then try the other boob and she will do the same.
Also to begin with if I hadn't fed for 3-4 hours my boobs would be hard and almost bursting but not now they just feel like my regular boobs?
I barely ever pump but last week I did and I only got an oz!! I just to get 5 oz easily.
She seems frustrated and if I don't give her a dummy after her feed she's very upset?

What can I do? Is my milk running out or is this normal. I don't want to stop yet

It is normal for your milk to regulate, at which point your breasts won't feel so engorged. Your best bet is to let baby feed as much as she wants. This is normal fussy behaviour for a baby who is trying to stimulate milk production in mommy. Sometimes they can feed hourly, every 15 minutes, or just constant nursing. I just tried to relax and let it happen, watched a lot of tv, and pretty much kept my boobs out like a buffet :)

Oh I forgot to add watch for the normal amount of wet and dirty diapers, and watch weight gain. Those are your key indicators that lo is getting enough food :)

It is normal for your milk to regulate, at which point your breasts won't feel so engorged. Your best bet is to let baby feed as much as she wants. This is normal fussy behaviour for a baby who is trying to stimulate milk production in mommy. Sometimes they can feed hourly, every 15 minutes, or just constant nursing. I just tried to relax and let it happen, watched a lot of tv, and pretty much kept my boobs out like a buffet :)

Oh I forgot to add watch for the normal amount of wet and dirty diapers, and watch weight gain. Those are your key indicators that lo is getting enough food :)
Haha out like a buffet!
Thanks for the advice, that makes sense! She is definately having enough dirty nappies near enough every hour or two.
I will just let her feed whenever she wants and hopefully she will become more satisfied soon

Yes it's normal to be able to pump less and have softer BBs once your supply has regulated.

My DD1 did this at the end of feeds, she would get very distressed. I figured out she liked to comfort suck but was annoyed milk was still coming out! I offered my finger one day and she went happily to sleep (I checked and the milk was still flowing freely so it wasn't because she coildn't get any) so we let her have the dummy when she did that. DD2 has started doing it too when she has had enough. I think some babies just have a really strong urge to suck even when they are full especially when they are tired.

In my experience when you breastfeed without pumping the supply gets adjusted to your lo's requirement. So no engorgement :)
With my ds it was one of two things... He needed to burp or Comfort suck. Sometimes he would get on and off really fast frustrated and would end up drinking a lot more which he then threw up later :(
He had a strong sucking/rooting reflex. A dummy helped initially, but now he has figured out the comfort suck and usually nurses to sleep.

In my experience when you breastfeed without pumping the supply gets adjusted to your lo's requirement. So no engorgement :)
With my ds it was one of two things... He needed to burp or Comfort suck. Sometimes he would get on and off really fast frustrated and would end up drinking a lot more which he then threw up later :(
He had a strong sucking/rooting reflex. A dummy helped initially, but now he has figured out the comfort suck and usually nurses to sleep.

Would agree with this. Your softer breasts are just due to your supply regulating. This link may reassure you though

https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->