Not sure if i need to ask ..

I disagree too. If you are renting and pregnant but having a hospital birth, are you saying that you should ask permission form your landlord just in case your waters go on the carpet when they pop?
I also think that many landlords would not have the knowledge to fully understand the situation and would say no automatically. My homebirth was at my mums who had just had the whole house recarpeted in very expensive carpets. There was not a drop of bodily fluid on the carpets at all and having read numerous threads on the subject of mess at a homebirth, I don't recall reading a single one where there was any sign of it having happened.

I do agree that your water s csn go and ruin a carpet before labour. Plus I think if I make any damage it is my responsibility to replace it. The carpets are regularly cleaned anyway as my son is a messy bugger lol x

Nope, it's a normal life event, so treat it normally. As Creative said, you didn't ask for permission for conception. You don't ask for permission for your menstrual cycle to take place in the flat. You just stand the chance of them not understanding and thinking there could be an issue. Birth is not often messy, especially of you plan. And the midwives do help tidy things away a bit.

You don't have to inform them, and certainly we didn't last time and wouldn't plan to this time except that our landlords are facebook friends with us so would probably find out anyway :haha:

Most contracts will say something about "tenants being allowed to live peacefully at the property without unreasonable interferance" and not being able to birth your baby where you choose because your landlord is worried about a (replacable) carpet for e.g. is definitely unreasonable!

Also, I'm not sure what other people's experiences have been with regard to the "mess" issue with their homebirths but mine left no trace!

Rudy was born on the sofa (we'd put an old throw over it) so we washed that the following day. Most blood and fluids were caught on the blue squares the midwives provided. I bled pp obviously but aside from a couple of nighties and pairs of knickers and bedsheets that needed washing you wouldn't have known. It wasn't as though there was blood up the walls or anything?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->