*Not Sure Where to Post This* How soon...

aidensxmomma

4 on Earth, Many in Heaven
Reaction score
after having a baby can you get pregnant again? I'm exclusively breastfeeding Mady and haven't had a period yet, so I don't know what to think. She's 7 weeks old now.

I'm paranoid as it is and it's worse now because I know that after you have a baby is the most fertile time for a woman and I've been having weird symptoms. I've been absolutely starving the past two weeks. But only at night. Prior to this I would just eat normal meals. And I've been having terrible cravings to the point where I had to go out at 11pm and buy some sour cream and onion chips. :blush: Last, I've been really tired, but that probably has something to do with having two kids. lol.

So, is it even possible to get pregnant 4-7 weeks after having a baby and while you're exculsively breastfeeding? If so, how would I even know when to test?

Sorry to say it is possible to get pregnant so soon after having a baby while breastfeeding. I'm not sure when you should test though maybe leave it a couple of weeks and see if the witch turns up and if it doesn't do a test or go talk to your GP about it.

i did not get my period back til my son was 6 months old and i was exclusively nursing. although its possible to get pregnant so soon its not as likely with full time nursing and not having a period yet. your food cravings and hunger are probably as a result of the nursing.
you could take a test though it def wont hurt lets say two weeks after you had sex maybe and then if its bfn try again after another two weeks.

You may not have your period because of the BF and you also might be starving for the same reason. At night you are making the richest milk so it might be you're not eating enough during the day. At 7 weeks I was all kinds of bizarre symptoms. I certainly wouldn't assume you're pregnant but would suggest doing a test as the most sensible next step. BF is not a reliable form of contraception.

Thank you for your replies. It makes me feel a little bit better. :)

And just to clarify, we do use condoms and I've started birth control. But I'm just overly paranoid. :blush:

We use natural family planning and have been told that the first 56 days (8 weeks) are to be considered infertile provided that you are exclusively breastfeeding. After that, no guarantees.

At least I hope so or we could have another LO around here sooner than planned! Like Madalynn, Emma is 7 weeks old.

Would NEVER rely on Breastfeeding as contraception.

Would NEVER rely on Breastfeeding as contraception.

Not to start an arguement or anything, but, like I said, we have been using condoms every time and I started birth control. I know that breastfeeding could delay ovulation, but I wouldn't rely solely on it, either. Too big of a risk.

But, I think I got my period now anyways, so I don't have to worry about it now. :thumbup: Thank you ladies!

Glad you think its sorted now :hugs:

Just one thing though if your thinking of waiting for a few years have you considered going for BC more long term??? I have the mirena coil and couldn't highly recommend it enough :)

I was BF Deacon when I got pregnant and he was 3mth old, and I had had one period. I was naive thinking that It wouldn't happen again so quickly but then again we weren't using any protection.

x

I guess if one was having unprotected sex and did not have a period yet. I would consider the day of :sex: as ovulation day and test as soon as 10 days later (kind of like the TWW when TTC)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->