Not the best drs appt

BlushingBride

Reaction score
Hey all. After throwing up all night we went in today for our appt a few days earlier. The dr. wanted to do a dating scan. She immediately looked concerned and before measuring said well the baby's small... And the heartbeat is low. She turned the monitor and we were able to see the beautiful flickers and our little baby. When she measured it came up as 6w4d and I'm supposed to be 6w6d which isn't much difference. I am pretty sure I ovulated around CD17 of a 27-28 day cycle and when I asked if ovulating a bit later would affect the growth a bit she said not at all. The HB was 120 which from my research for a baby that size isn't bad?? I had no blood clots and she didn't mention anything else. She asked about my vacation next week and asked if I had to go!! I asked why and she said well in case something happens? Once I got dressed we went in her office and I said well don't risks go down significantly because we saw a heartbeat? And she immediately told me stories of women who see heartbeats and 8 weeks...come back at 12 and well... She said it in the worst way possible but I refuse to repeat what she said. I gave her a strange look because from what I read that risk is very low and she then said yes and that's about 5% chance though so not very common but I see it happen a lot. I'm going back next week before going out of town to check on baby's progress but I'm a pretty upset at how she handled the appointment.

What do you all think about a baby measuring 2 days behind at this stage? Also does anyone know if a 120 heartbeat is slow for 6w4d? I'm trying to separate my experience and realize the positives. Any help is appreciated though!

Ah hun, 2 days is nothing... conception itself could have taken place anywhere in a 24 hour window and then ovulation isn't an exact science unless you actually feel it happen. A 120 heartbeat at 6-7 weeks from what I've read on here is perfect!

Don't let it get you down, sounds like everything is fine :thumbup:

Wow what a terrible, terrible doctor. That's appalling. From what I hear, that heartbeat is fine. My baby didn't even have a heartbeat at that gestation. And measuring behind by 2 days is nothing, my babies always seem to measure 1-2 weeks behind during first tri.

Seriously, that doctor needs to be fired, right now. I'm sorry you had that experience. It sounds like baby is perfectly healthy right now, so congrats!

Wow, my little one (now 2 months old!) had a heartbeat of 95bpm at 6w3d. I remember being so nervous because I thought that was incredibly low, but my OB said something along the lines of 90+bpm was considered normal at 6 weeks gestation.

You women are all so awesome thank you for your stories, encouragement, and support! You have no idea how much you've calmed me!

Wow. I'd get a different dr. Cus she's obviously confused. Everything sounds fine. :hugs:

At my first scan, my baby was measuring 5 days behind with a heart beat of 130. Your doctor wasn't very professional by the sounds of it!

Oh my goodness! Girl, get a new doctor. Everything she said seems wrong to me as well as rude. All of that is normal according to everything I've ever read. Congratulations and I'm sorry her negativity subtracted from what should have been a joyous experience! Get a new doctor and don't worry yourself!

Wow, that woman was not only unprofessional, but also wrong! With my son I had an appointment at 6+3 because I was worried about ectopic. We saw baby with a heartbeat, but it was too small for her to measure the rate. He was also measuring small at 5+6 days. Contrary to what your doctor said, mine said "Perfect! They're very hard to measure accurately at this size, but once you've seen a heartbeat, your chance of miscarriage drastically drops." 120 sounds great. And being off by 2 days is nothing! It sounds like your doctor worried you needlessly, and I'm sorry for that. Happy and healthy pregnancy to you!

I agree you need a new doctor. That is horrible. She needs to reconsider her profession if that is how she is going to talk to her patients. It sounds like she is trying to scare you unnecessarily. Dates are never perfect as ovulation can not predict implantation. 2 days is nothing and 130 sounds perfect.
Ask for a second opinion and don't go back.

I'd recommend finding a more caring doctor. I had one who sounded similar to yours (rather negative) and finally at around 24 weeks I decided to change. Was a great move! Having a supportive, positive doctor is so important during pregnancy. xx

With DS i measured 4 days behind then at 12 week scan measured 2 days ahead. With this pregnancy i measured 2 weeks behind initially and 8 days later bubs was perfect. Your dr sounds a d*ck! Good luck x

Wow isn't your doctor sensitive! I guess no one ever knows what will happen, and we all have these fears in the first trimester, but for her to feed those fears with stories and worst case scenarios is just awful. If she was my doctor I'd be switching. What is wrong with some people, she should be reassuring you.

When I had my dating scan with my son there was 2 days different between their dating and the date I was sure I conceived...turns out they were right, he was born exactly on the day they predicted. 2 days is definitely nothing to worry about.

xx

A new doctor is DEFINITELY in order! Please, pretty please promise me you'll find a new one. You need someone who is professional, lovely and supportive. She doesn't sound like she ticks any of those boxes.

What is she talking about...... she sounds a fool, they put me back a week with d3 and then put me forward again at the next scan.... anything can happen at any time granted but most of the time nothing happens! What a blathering idiot!!

I would find a new doctor. You don't need that negativity in your life. Measuring within a week is fine and normal and the heart rate you posted is great.

Thank you all so much! The practice I belong to has about 12 doctors so I can make sure not to schedule with her but then again the day I deliver I don't get to chose who is on call so I have some thinking to do. I'm considering calling today to see if I can have another dr in the group analyze my ultrasound results from yesterday and tell them that she questioned if I had to go out of town. As much as I know she's wrong in the back of my mind I'm wondering if she saw something that she didn't tell me? I don't know it was just such a strange appointment and it's going to bug me until my follow up next week!!!

So unprofessional and cold, I don't like the sound of that doc at all.

If you could request someone else I'd definitly do that, and thats a great idea to request another doctor to analise your scan.

Very strange comments - They found a heartbeat of 113 at 6 and 3 for me, and I was told that was fine. Was also told I was measuring about 5 days behind and was given a new due date, and of course at the 12 week scan that due date had to be adjusted forwards by 5 days. In all honesty, there's really not a lot to see at this point, so if you got a heartbeat, that's great. Going away next week is not going to make any difference as far as viability goes, and being near your doctor if 'something happens' wouldn't help as there's really nothing they can do to prevent early losses in any case. I would do everything you can to avoid that doc from this point on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->