NTNP & jealous of SIL having kids

tessa08

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new on here. I just want to let off some steam. If anyone has advice or experienced anything similar, please let me know, I'd really appreciate the help.

I'm young, 22 and if I got pregnant I'd be 23 when I have the baby. I've been engaged for 1 1/2 years now, and I'm almost done school, so is DF.

We've been ntnp for 15 months but using the pull out method because that's what DF wants, but still having intercourse during ovulation. His sister just had her second baby, and needless to say, now I'm going baby crazy. I just can't wait anymore. It's driving me nuts. I'm very jealous. I don't even want to be around her. Not to mention my mom just had a baby with her new husband, so I'm absolutely surrounded with babies.

Should I talk about really ttc with my fiance, or do I need counselling or something? I'm super grumpy lately according to DF and I admit I'm bitter lately because I don't have a baby yet.

Thanks!

I can somewhat relate to you...I just turned 30 and my husband will be 30 in November. We got married in January 2014 and decided to put off TTC because his parents were paying for us and his twin brother and new wife to join them on an amazing trip through the Grand Canyon (which we went on this June). I had mentioned having kids to DH's parents and they just blew it off like it didn't matter. My SIL is 6 years younger than us but acts like a child. She very snottily would say things like "If you want to destroy your life with kids, good on you. We have no interest in that. We want to be double income no kids so we can travel. You'll have no life". Fast forward to March- They just had their first baby. The entire pregnancy she would keep saying how she didn't want this/it, her life is ruined, she doesn't understand how this could happen to her, etc. She brags about having a baby, belittles me for not being pregnant (we've been trying since April 1, because we put everything on hold for that trip)... And the in-laws are no better. They are so overjoyed to have grandkids and keep saying things like they figured they were never going to have grandkids (even though I talked about it ALL THE TIME), that my husband clearly isn't a real Lindell because he can't get me pregnant...

On top of this- EVERYONE is having kids in my life. My middle brother just had baby #3, my best friend just had a baby, and about 15 friends from college just had kids. I'm jealous, angry, disgruntled, and want to just give up. I wish I had advice on how to deal with it, but I don't. In fact, I have bawled my eyes out every day this week because I got another negative test result, and I am NOT a crier.

Maybe we can just vent to each other lol.

Hm, I've never done NTNP because I'm a control freak but I'm pretty sure "pullout" IS preventing. Like I would say that is a very good reason why you aren't pregnant yet. I mean most of us are having full blown BD and it still takes months to get pregnant. Some people have accidents but you really don't hear about the millions of times pullout works because, well it worked, no one's gonna talk about it.

So #1. there's no worry that it's taking a long time for you to get pregnant because you guys ARE using a type of contraceptive; it's not reliable for sure, but it cuts down your chances a LOT #2. If you want a baby, then you should discuss this with your DF and if both of you want that, then don't pull out and just go for it.

I'm wondering if your DF isn't ready for a baby if he wants to pull out. That is definitely a relationship problem (and not your problem). The solution is to have frank conversations about what each of you wants right now and in the future.

My 2c though: it's not a problem to NTNP while you're young and still finishing up school. And also, this may be a weird forum to say this: but there's a lot more to life than babies. I think a lot of us are programmed to think our "goal" in life is to bear children but that's society talking, not necessarily you. I want children for sure, there's no doubt about that, but people lead all sorts of interesting lives without children. I'm often jealous of those peoples lives for being so carefree and whimsical. I have several (female) friends who don't want children (like for sure, even divorced over it), and I'm actually kind of jealous they don't have to worry about TTC.

We're often jealous of what we don't have, but that does NOT mean we WANT those things.

I can somewhat relate to you...I just turned 30 and my husband will be 30 in November. We got married in January 2014 and decided to put off TTC because his parents were paying for us and his twin brother and new wife to join them on an amazing trip through the Grand Canyon (which we went on this June). I had mentioned having kids to DH's parents and they just blew it off like it didn't matter. My SIL is 6 years younger than us but acts like a child. She very snottily would say things like "If you want to destroy your life with kids, good on you. We have no interest in that. We want to be double income no kids so we can travel. You'll have no life". Fast forward to March- They just had their first baby. The entire pregnancy she would keep saying how she didn't want this/it, her life is ruined, she doesn't understand how this could happen to her, etc. She brags about having a baby, belittles me for not being pregnant (we've been trying since April 1, because we put everything on hold for that trip)... And the in-laws are no better. They are so overjoyed to have grandkids and keep saying things like they figured they were never going to have grandkids (even though I talked about it ALL THE TIME), that my husband clearly isn't a real Lindell because he can't get me pregnant...

On top of this- EVERYONE is having kids in my life. My middle brother just had baby #3, my best friend just had a baby, and about 15 friends from college just had kids. I'm jealous, angry, disgruntled, and want to just give up. I wish I had advice on how to deal with it, but I don't. In fact, I have bawled my eyes out every day this week because I got another negative test result, and I am NOT a crier.

I'd love to have a venting buddy! My SIL is always complaining too. And she says things like oh, I'm so exhausted from taking care of them, but they're so worth it, I don't regret a thing... one day you'll know what it's like to be a mom... It's like really? You know I'm jealous, so shut up! lol So obnoxious. Plus she's a stay at home mom who didn't finish her high school yet so I feel like she's trying to get attention and feel validated for it by talking about how hard it is and how great a mother she is. Can't stand it.

The only thing I can suggest about your MIL is talk to your DH about your concerns and have him discuss it with your MIL with the approach that he's upset that he's doing this to both of you and he's upset that he's hurting you and it's not okay. I don't think she would change though. It would probably make you the victim of gossip between your SIL and MIL after that.

I actually completely avoid my MIL. I seldom visit my in-laws-to-be because of her. She is so rude and just a plain bully that I couldn't take it anymore. It took me 3 years after always arguing and trying to make up to accept that she'll never change and I shouldn't see her. If there's one thing I learned that I can tell you from that experience is that I've learned not to expect anything from people like that. They're just rude and enjoy putting people down and make them feel unimportant but I've realized now that she has a problem, and every time I allow myself to talk to her, I'm saying yes to being bullied so I just completely avoid her. Even when I'm there to visit, it's hi and bye. The whole visit, I seriously never talk to her. You can probably tolerate small chat but I would simply distance myself emotionally from her. She seems very toxic.

I'm sorry that you're so upset about the BFPs. I honestly think that at 30 you should be able to get your BFP within a year. I'm sur it'll happen soon. I wouldn't worry about the men not marching. Usually they're good for a long time. Also, a lot of people get BFPs after a long time trying, I saw one person that just got her BFP and it took her 22 months.

I hope this helped a bit, keep me posted :)

Hm, I've never done NTNP because I'm a control freak but I'm pretty sure "pullout" IS preventing. Like I would say that is a very good reason why you aren't pregnant yet. I mean most of us are having full blown BD and it still takes months to get pregnant. Some people have accidents but you really don't hear about the millions of times pullout works because, well it worked, no one's gonna talk about it.

So #1. there's no worry that it's taking a long time for you to get pregnant because you guys ARE using a type of contraceptive; it's not reliable for sure, but it cuts down your chances a LOT #2. If you want a baby, then you should discuss this with your DF and if both of you want that, then don't pull out and just go for it.

I'm wondering if your DF isn't ready for a baby if he wants to pull out. That is definitely a relationship problem (and not your problem). The solution is to have frank conversations about what each of you wants right now and in the future.

My 2c though: it's not a problem to NTNP while you're young and still finishing up school. And also, this may be a weird forum to say this: but there's a lot more to life than babies. I think a lot of us are programmed to think our "goal" in life is to bear children but that's society talking, not necessarily you. I want children for sure, there's no doubt about that, but people lead all sorts of interesting lives without children. I'm often jealous of those peoples lives for being so carefree and whimsical. I have several (female) friends who don't want children (like for sure, even divorced over it), and I'm actually kind of jealous they don't have to worry about TTC.

We're often jealous of what we don't have, but that does NOT mean we WANT those things.
I know what you're saying about babies not being the be all and end all, and I agree. I just love them and I really look forward to being a mother so it's really hard for me to wait. I'm trying to enjoy my time not being a mom but it's really hard to stop thinking about. My mom also had me at 17, so I think this plays into it a lot subconsciously for me.

I definitely think it's the POM as well. He thinks there's a good enough chance already with the POM, enough for now since we're done school in the winter. After school's done, I'm going to bring it up. I know this is TMI but he's never even come in me without a condom and we've been together for over four years, so it's also an intimacy thing for me.

I know what you're saying about babies not being the be all and end all, and I agree. I just love them and I really look forward to being a mother so it's really hard for me to wait. I'm trying to enjoy my time not being a mom but it's really hard to stop thinking about. My mom also had me at 17, so I think this plays into it a lot subconsciously for me.

I definitely think it's the POM as well. He thinks there's a good enough chance already with the POM, enough for now since we're done school in the winter. After school's done, I'm going to bring it up. I know this is TMI but he's never even come in me without a condom and we've been together for over four years, so it's also an intimacy thing for me.

Aw I feel like you're even more into this than I am. I want kids mostly because I was like a third parent to my little bro when he was young and I thought that was great. But of course I did still have my actual parents to do a ton of the work so I'm pretty sure I just got the fun parts.

Honestly I see NTNP as that you just want to enjoy life and let it happen; which is a great attitude and approach. But it really doesn't sound like that's what YOU want at all. You're in TTC mode. And maybe your DH is in NTNP mode. So I think it winds down to that discrepancy.

I'd love to have a venting buddy! My SIL is always complaining too. And she says things like oh, I'm so exhausted from taking care of them, but they're so worth it, I don't regret a thing... one day you'll know what it's like to be a mom... It's like really? You know I'm jealous, so shut up! lol So obnoxious. Plus she's a stay at home mom who didn't finish her high school yet so I feel like she's trying to get attention and feel validated for it by talking about how hard it is and how great a mother she is. Can't stand it.

The only thing I can suggest about your MIL is talk to your DH about your concerns and have him discuss it with your MIL with the approach that he's upset that he's doing this to both of you and he's upset that he's hurting you and it's not okay. I don't think she would change though. It would probably make you the victim of gossip between your SIL and MIL after that.

I actually completely avoid my MIL. I seldom visit my in-laws-to-be because of her. She is so rude and just a plain bully that I couldn't take it anymore. It took me 3 years after always arguing and trying to make up to accept that she'll never change and I shouldn't see her. If there's one thing I learned that I can tell you from that experience is that I've learned not to expect anything from people like that. They're just rude and enjoy putting people down and make them feel unimportant but I've realized now that she has a problem, and every time I allow myself to talk to her, I'm saying yes to being bullied so I just completely avoid her. Even when I'm there to visit, it's hi and bye. The whole visit, I seriously never talk to her. You can probably tolerate small chat but I would simply distance myself emotionally from her. She seems very toxic.

I'm sorry that you're so upset about the BFPs. I honestly think that at 30 you should be able to get your BFP within a year. I'm sur it'll happen soon. I wouldn't worry about the men not marching. Usually they're good for a long time. Also, a lot of people get BFPs after a long time trying, I saw one person that just got her BFP and it took her 22 months.

My SIL is such a jerk lol. Like, she owns that she is a mean spirited person and actually says that the reason is because she is still a baby and she is a Gemini so I need to deal with it. I was like I see... so you get to be wishy washy and a jerk and then try to be buddy-buddy with me because of your astrological sign? Well, I'm an Aries so I should be able to be a complete asshat and fire off whenever I feel like it and feel no remorse because Aries are hotheaded people. Her response, crap you not, was no- you can't act like that because you have already lived and grew up so you can't act that way. Don't try to make sense of that... it will hurt your brain. Apparently I'm near dead and lived my life... :smh:

I tried talking to my DH about his family and how they make me feel. The entire clan is odd- they don't discuss feelings, they don't really care about being close knit, and the parents didn't teach the boys how to defend themselves or others. While they taught the boys a TON of great skills, I feel like my husband was failed by them in terms of making lasting, meaningful relationships. My parents taught me how to speak up for myself and others so I'm totally stunned that he was never taught that. Granted- he is a super quiet guy and was never bullied... so he never had to deal with that. I was bullied a ton growing up because I was a redhead and because of my religious beliefs. I don't like bullies so I have no problem speaking up.

I very rarely talk to my SIL if I can help it. I talk very little to the MIL, too. The FIL and I tend to talk a little more (until he says something really harsh and then I shut up) because we have aerospace in common due to our jobs. At one point I refused to see his parents if I knew the SIL would be there. Figured faking illness was better than drinking heavily before leaving the house lol. At least you recognize now what your future in-laws are like and you manage to deal with them. I hope it gets better for you.. It is so tough for me because my parents live in Florida and I'm in Washington state, so DH's family is all I have out here.

@psychochick I agree to an extent. I think I lean toward TTC as well, but as much as I want one I'm still on the fence because my grandparents are like my parents to me and they're very old-school Christians. So as much as I want a baby, I'm okay if it doesn't happen right now because I know it'll be harder now than when I'm married next year. I don't track anything to do with my fertility either. I think that's why I'm saying I'm technically NTNP right now. Even when we're completely ready to TTC, I wouldn't track anything. I feel like scheduling stuff and checking fertility and temperatures would ruin the romance of sex for me. I would just let it go with the flow and I know we'd end up pregnant when it's meant to be. So I guess I'd be more like TTCNT, trying to concieve, not tracking at that point lol

My SIL is such a jerk lol. Like, she owns that she is a mean spirited person and actually says that the reason is because she is still a baby and she is a Gemini so I need to deal with it. I was like I see... so you get to be wishy washy and a jerk and then try to be buddy-buddy with me because of your astrological sign? Well, I'm an Aries so I should be able to be a complete asshat and fire off whenever I feel like it and feel no remorse because Aries are hotheaded people. Her response, crap you not, was no- you can't act like that because you have already lived and grew up so you can't act that way. Don't try to make sense of that... it will hurt your brain. Apparently I'm near dead and lived my life... :smh:

I tried talking to my DH about his family and how they make me feel. The entire clan is odd- they don't discuss feelings, they don't really care about being close knit, and the parents didn't teach the boys how to defend themselves or others. While they taught the boys a TON of great skills, I feel like my husband was failed by them in terms of making lasting, meaningful relationships. My parents taught me how to speak up for myself and others so I'm totally stunned that he was never taught that. Granted- he is a super quiet guy and was never bullied... so he never had to deal with that. I was bullied a ton growing up because I was a redhead and because of my religious beliefs. I don't like bullies so I have no problem speaking up.

I very rarely talk to my SIL if I can help it. I talk very little to the MIL, too. The FIL and I tend to talk a little more (until he says something really harsh and then I shut up) because we have aerospace in common due to our jobs. At one point I refused to see his parents if I knew the SIL would be there. Figured faking illness was better than drinking heavily before leaving the house lol. At least you recognize now what your future in-laws are like and you manage to deal with them. I hope it gets better for you.. It is so tough for me because my parents live in Florida and I'm in Washington state, so DH's family is all I have out here.

That's weird, I'm an Aries too, my bday is March 28th, and I was also bullied a lot for my religious beliefs as a kid. My parents brought us to church every Sunday.

My DF and his family are somewhat similar. They sweep everything under the rug and be passive aggressive and rude to each other in subtle ways until they're over whatever they're mad about. It's really weird and annoying. His parents are under this belief, especially his mom, that any slightest disagreement or argument is unhealthy in a family and it's disturbing the peace, and that nothing is ever wrong. It's quite dysfunctional, really.

Yeah, your SIL definitely has issues. She sounds really immature and annoying :S I wouldn't be able to be around her lol

That's weird, I'm an Aries too, my bday is March 28th, and I was also bullied a lot for my religious beliefs as a kid. My parents brought us to church every Sunday.

My DF and his family are somewhat similar. They sweep everything under the rug and be passive aggressive and rude to each other in subtle ways until they're over whatever they're mad about. It's really weird and annoying. His parents are under this belief, especially his mom, that any slightest disagreement or argument is unhealthy in a family and it's disturbing the peace, and that nothing is ever wrong. It's quite dysfunctional, really.

Yeah, your SIL definitely has issues. She sounds really immature and annoying :S I wouldn't be able to be around her lol

Shut up! My birthday is March 28!!! OMG, birthday twins!

I get so burned out on the rude comments from his family. A few weeks ago was the last straw for me, and I think for the DH, too. His dad and brother told Marlowe (granted, the baby is only 6 months, but still) that Jake doesn't care about her at all. I was so stunned I was stuttering.

Shut up! My birthday is March 28!!! OMG, birthday twins!

I get so burned out on the rude comments from his family. A few weeks ago was the last straw for me, and I think for the DH, too. His dad and brother told Marlowe (granted, the baby is only 6 months, but still) that Jake doesn't care about her at all. I was so stunned I was stuttering.

That's crazy!! I've actually never met someone with my birthday although I've met plently of people born March 27th.

Wow, thats so insulting and mean! I'm sorry I don't know who Marlowe and Jake are lol

So I'm off to the doctors today. I know its TMI but my urine has been smelling very strong in the mornings only despite being hydrated. I've also needed to pee more frequently, about 12 times a day for two days now. It could be a UTI or an early sign of pregnancy, from what I've read anyway. I'm not getting burning sensations with it but it's also possible to have a UTI without symptoms, so I'll see! I've had some in the past, the last time was 2 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->