Nursing bra help

DCS

Reaction score
So i am breastfeeding DD and im looking for a few nursing bras. I thought i could get away with using the ones i used when DS was a baby but im a little bigger now, so they are uncomfortable.

My problem is, im a uk 40e. Well thats what the lady in the shop said but she only measured the under bust bit. And just randomly guessed the cup size, not sure if thats how its meant to be worked out as she said they dont measure cup sizes.

Anyway, im a 40e, so need a fair hit of support otherwise my breasts just hang down and it gives me back ache. They also look all gross and smushed and have no shape, the spill out to thr sides and sag like im not wearing a bra. So id like an underwired bra, but hear these are not recomended. They are also like £30 each, id need a few, so would be looking at like £90 on 3 bras which i can not afford.

So anyone know where i can get decent underwired bras cheaply? And why are wired ones no good? I think i read they block ducts, but after a few months of breastfeeding DS i switched to normal bras and i breastfed him till he was almost 3.

Really starting to get me down now. I look a mess whenever i go out. And im not wanting to leave the house now.

You could measure yourself if you want to check your size. I use this guide and it works really well - https://sameatschildren.tumblr.com/post/45962915522/do-it-now-guide-to-proper-bra-fit-and-measuring All bras are slightly different sizes and shapes though so your size is only a starting point anyway. The link gives good info about checking fit too.

Non-wired bras are usually better because they are less likely to block ducts if they don't fit quite right, but if you get a perfectly fitting bra I think you're okay to get a wired one. Just check the fit regularly. You can probably save money by getting normal rather than nursing bras and just popping your boob over the top/undoing the back when you need to BF. Nursing bras can be so expensive - if you get cheaper wired ones, you can probably afford to replace them more often so may be more likely to get a good fit.

I struggled to find nursing bras to it me that would give me the support and I kept getting measured wrong in the end I worked out what the best and most comfortable back size for me was and from then tried on different sizes until I found the right cup size making sure there was enough room for when I am full of milk meaning that they are a little big just after feeding but fit fine. I went for normal bras and just got them in the sales so cheap I cut the straps and I cut the clasps of some old nursing bras sewing them onto the new bras meaning I now have properly fitting underwired nursing bras in a 34j

I am the same size as you and found none of the baby store bras offered enough support. The only ones I found that fit and do the job was the Royce jasmine, not the prettiest but looked ok under clothes and kept them where they should be. I have one hot milk one which is okay, but I didn't like the under bit which was left one you 'flap down'. I also tried strap cutting and sewing on clasps, but found it would loose the strap ends which made it fiddly when public feeding to be discreet.

I would go to Debenhams or marks where they measure you properly and try a few different styles to see what fits you best. I did this about a month after giving birth. I am a 34FF and have a couple of comfortable nursing bras that give a surprising amount of support considering they're not wired.

Go to bravissimo to be measured, even if you don't buy any bras from them they will fit you (they don't measure - they show you how a bra should fit). I'm 34 G and I love bravissimo.

Debenhams do a nursing T shirt bra which I find is a lot more supportive than the standard nursing bras. Not sure what size they go up to.

https://www.bravissimo.com/perfectfit/maternity/#

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->