nursing strike - help!

Deb111

Totally smitten!
Reaction score
Hi

I exclusively bf my daughter to 6 months and continued feeding on demand once she started on solids. She was feeding first and last thing, mid morning and mid afternoon. I was considering trying to cut out the 2 daytime feeds and continue with the first and last of the day ones until she was ready to stop (within reason).

She had a hectic birthday weekend and as a result of over tiredness, teething etc she bit me when feeding sunday evening. I reacted as I shouldnt have and shrieked :-( and to cut a long story short, she has refused to feed since. Ive spoken to anough people and read enough to know that the suddenness of this and her distress especially at bedtime are signs of a nursing strike not self weaning. I'm dustraught about the way this has all happened.

If she had done it gradually and was happy about it, then I'd deal with it whether I felt ready or not but that's just not the way it has happened

Any advice or positive stories gratefully received!

Hello lovely, assumed you've tried this but have you tried in darkened room with soothing music? If you are stressing Aimee will pick up on it too. Ao I would have a few moments calming down abd then give it a go.

Also are you sure it's not teething?

Hoping someone else has some wise words. ....

Hi my little boy had a strike too, it lasted 5 days. I just kept putting him on my breast as much as possible, skin to skin and had baths with him and kept putting him to the breast in the bath.
The only way he eventually started feeding again was during the night when he was half asleep. Then he gradually started feeding more over the next few days. Hope this helps, it was horrible so know how you're feeling. X

Combination of a horrible week of teething and my yelp I think spring. Thanks both. I am thrilled to report that day 9 and my little striker has left the picket line :) :) :)

Oh Deb so pleased!!! I've been worrying about you both.
x

Spoke too soon - no feeds since last night :-(

I wouldn't worry too much Deb, just keep offering & if she wants it, she'll take it. If she doesn't, then don't worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->