Obama's birth certificate debacle

Me either. I think this whole thing is bloody ridiculous. :dohh: But really, someone being born somewhere else really makes that much of a difference? I know it isn't the president, but Arnold Swartznegger (spelling?) wasn't born in the States yet he's the Governor of California. :shrug:

You don't have to be born in the USA to be governor. It's just a stipulation for the US president :flower:

Psh, I could care less. Honestly. It's a birth certificate. The hard thing about Hawaii is it became a state in 1959. So, for people like my grandfather, his birth certificate states he was born in the Territory of Hawaii, yet he is still a US citizen. There should not be any issue with Obama because he was born in 1961. Anyways, all born in Hawaii before it was a state became US citizens upon statehood anyways.

I know, was just pointing out that IMHO birthplace doesn't mean that you are a crap President. I think his record should be judged for that notion, not if he was born there. :dohh:

Me either. I think this whole thing is bloody ridiculous. :dohh: But really, someone being born somewhere else really makes that much of a difference? I know it isn't the president, but Arnold Swartznegger (spelling?) wasn't born in the States yet he's the Governor of California. :shrug:

You don't have to be born in the USA to be governor. It's just a stipulation for the US president :flower:

Psh, I could care less. Honestly. It's a birth certificate. The hard thing about Hawaii is it became a state in 1959. So, for people like my grandfather, his birth certificate states he was born in the Territory of Hawaii, yet he is still a US citizen. There should not be any issue with Obama because he was born in 1961. Anyways, all born in Hawaii before it was a state became US citizens upon statehood anyways.

I know, was just pointing out that IMHO birthplace doesn't mean that you are a crap President. I think his record should be judged for that notion, not if he was born there. :dohh:

Ah well, it's the same with Clinton. Do we remember him for revolutionizing victims rights in the criminal justice system? Nope, just that he shagged some girl and caused a scandal.

True. I think the thing I hate most about politics is the mud slinging. You should see the ads here for our Federal election next week, its brutal! :dohh:

Geeez, it's elections over here too. I could honestly care less. I'm more concerned about the amount of trees that are being cut down to make the damn flyers they keep shoving through my door, lol.

Hasnt he completly changed the way the healthcare system works? lol

Not yet. It keeps going back to the Senate and Congress for votes because no one is happy really with all the changes. Frankly, I think he would have been better off strengthening the economy as opposed to trying to change something that people have been used to for such a long time. IMO it's like trying to tell people the sky is green now, lol!

There are some issues because apparently it looks fake and Kenya wasnt known as Kenya in 1961 it declared its independance in 1963 before that it was known as a british colony so there are debates about why it would be Kenya on the birth certificate making people think its a fake.

It was still called Kenya :haha: But it was part of the East Africa company :)

Obama has done plenty...people forget that while the president can propose all the bills he wants congress and the senate have to pass them. Obama proposed a fabulous health care bill then the house and senate tore it to shreds, and that's not obama's fault.
Under some of obama's implementation detroit auto industry reported positive income for the first time in years,
he repealed don't ask don't tell,
got the fed to reduce interest rates on credit cards and implement a maximum cutoff so credit card companies can't just raises interest whenever they feel like it,
he appointed the first latina to the supreme court,
created tax write-offs for energy efficent car owners,
got better body armor provided for our troops,
closed off-shore tax safe havens so the rich can't stash money and not pay taxes on it over seas,
protected 300,000 education jobs that would have been lost had the recovery act not been passed.
There is much more and I could go on, but obvisously he has done things. People expected him to magically turn the economy around overnight but when we got so screwed to begin with and it took years for it to collapse why on earth do we think it's an easy fix?

A) The people doing Obama's background checks prior to his presidency probably know more about Obama than Obama does. I think it's ridiculous that anyone would even question him meeting one of the key eligibility requirements.

B) Obama's had a tough time in office. Having a Democrat president and a Republican controlled congress almost always makes for a stand still presidency. It's hard to get things done when the children are fighting everything to a standstill. Also, you have to remember the ridiculously large mess that he walked in to. Did anyone really expect any president to be outrageously successful with this presidential term? I certainly didn't. If figured that whoever won would be considered an epic failure by the public majority simply because things were so hellish to begin with. It takes more than 4 years to recover from an economica crisis, no matter how talented you are.

I agree. The outcry over his birthplace is ridiculous. It reeks of conspiracy theory and racism.
And I almost wish Obama had been saved for better times. He has so much potential, but the circumstances he inherited meant trying to get out of a massive economic mess rather than being able to get really innovative with reforms.
I agree that he has achieved lots despite that.

Just an opinion article...https://www.thegrio.com/politics/why-obama-shouldnt-have-had-to-show-his-papers.php

This is just a completely ridiculous state of affairs, and Donald Trump is an arse who used the 'Obama birthplace conspiracy' for publicity, and to get the attention of the Republicans who he hopes will vote him in one day.

I agree this would not have happened to a white President who was born in Hawaii, and this conspiracy smacks of racism.

Why wasn't any of this raised about McCain (his opponent in the 2008 election)? McCain was born in Panama. On a military base, but not on US soil. If that is the real issue. :roll: Which it isn't.

The birth certificate 'debate' is so ridiculously crazy and a huge waste of time IMO. Even if (and it's a huge if IMO) it wasn't legit, then surely the people who ought to have done the vetting are more at fault than Obama is.

Well said :thumbup:

^ Just a thought about that whole McCain thing. Is it different in the States when children are born on military bases outside of the country?

Just curious as my fiancé is considered a "Canadian Citizen Born Abroad" as he was born in Lahr, Germany (Cdn Military base). Canadian military always deemed bases in foreign countries Canadian soil. So wouldn't McCain still be considered an American as he was born in an American base?

Yes, American bases are considered American soil so McCain would be considered born there. My LO will be a dual citizen having been born in the UK to a US citizen and a UK citizen.

They stopped doing dual citizenship here I think. A few years ago P had to decide whether he wanted to be Canadian or German. Obviously he chose Canadian as he's lived here since he was 2! :haha:

I think it's kinda cool that LO will be American and British :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4&feature=player_embedded

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"