Obama's birth certificate debacle

I saw that! :haha: Well done on him, IMO. Sometimes the only thing you can do when people are being shitty is laugh. :smug:

That is genius, I saw the lion king bit on Russell Howard, I remembered why Obama is hot!

I like Obama and I am proud he is our first black president I think that is great and it's about time. It seems in a small way to unite us. I think we have come along way in regard to race relations, I see it. It's SO nice to see the people who are involved in those groups like The Clan get a slap in their face. They try to hard to divide people and it just doesn't work and I am proud of that. I believed him when he said where he was born in the first place and I don't need a document to prove it. If it was not true the republicans would have had a field day and we have been impeached , you are not aloud to be president of the United States unless your citizen which Is why he is still our president. I think this all was just started to make him look bad. I like him , some don't but that is what it is all about anyway, differences :flower:

I don't understand why it's important that a president be born in the US anyway? (I know it's a legal thing but don't understand why). Like I am Irish 100%, but I lived in another country until I was 16)months old, that shouldn't make me any less capable of being the leader of the country :shrug:

It was something written into the constitution. :shrug: Just one of those things I suppose.

I can understand why you have to be born in the US. Would any other country want an American heading their government or someone from a different country.
Honesty I don't care that he is black. He is just another person to me and I think everyone making a stink about his color (rather racism or being amazed because he is the first black president) just makes the racisal divide bigger. To me there really is not race just humans. It will be the same when we have a woman president. If everyone things as one people and doesn't point out race differences then it would eventually go away.
As it stands we will be having a new election soon. Instead of thinking on the smear campaigns why not think about what each is really trying to do. That is really all I care about. I can't wait to finally be able to vote other than driving it makes me feel like an adult and I will truly feel like an american citizen.

Edit: BTW I think that in the US when you are 18 you have to declare which citizenship you will chose. I don't think you can have dual citizenship after that. I'm not to sure but I remember being told that by someone.

I can understand why you have to be born in the US. Would any other country want an American heading their government or someone from a different country.
Honesty I don't care that he is black. He is just another person to me and I think everyone making a stink about his color (rather racism or being amazed because he is the first black president) just makes the racisal divide bigger. To me there really is not race just humans. It will be the same when we have a woman president. If everyone things as one people and doesn't point out race differences then it would eventually go away.
As it stands we will be having a new election soon. Instead of thinking on the smear campaigns why not think about what each is really trying to do. That is really all I care about. I can't wait to finally be able to vote other than driving it makes me feel like an adult and I will truly feel like an american citizen.

Edit: BTW I think that in the US when you are 18 you have to declare which citizenship you will chose. I don't think you can have dual citizenship after that. I'm not to sure but I remember being told that by someone.

I do not see color either and I didn't mean in a negative way, i just meant that I was proud to see a change in America and having a black president meant to me that people didn't care about the color of his skin and I thought that was something at least for me to be proud of. I don't think being proud of having a first black president is making a racial divide bigger or smaller. Your right if everyone did think as one people things would be wonderful, but the reality is they don't and some will never , but as I said I am proud he is our first black president and I don't think that makes me anything but happy as I would be when a woman finally takes office. :flower:

You just have to be a naturalised cititzen and of a certain age to be head of government here. It is really an old law that you can't be born outside the US. For Example anybody that maybe moved to the US at early age like 1 year old cannot ever be a president even if he would be a good one.

I'm just guessing here, but isn't the law about US citizenry one of the ways that the founding fathers tried to prevent any more foreign rule after having been colonies for so long and going through the revolution?
I thought that's where it came from?

And are you sure about the dual citizenship thing? I know lots of people who have both. I'm eligible for both American and Canadian citizenships, but unless I want to work in the States, it would really be mostly a big tax hassle, as far as I can tell.

I'm just guessing here, but isn't the law about US citizenry one of the ways that the founding fathers tried to prevent any more foreign rule after having been colonies for so long and going through the revolution?
I thought that's where it came from?

And are you sure about the dual citizenship thing? I know lots of people who have both. I'm eligible for both American and Canadian citizenships, but unless I want to work in the States, it would really be mostly a big tax hassle, as far as I can tell.

Like I said I'm not to sure but that is what someone told me or maybe TV. But it could be different for US and Canada as apposed to other places since we are so close. Not to sure.

From what it says online you can have dual citizenship but it depends on the countries. From what I'm interrupting it seems the US will still tax you either way and they seem to prefer you to decounce your other citizenship for other countries, though you still have your citizenship in the eyes of you other country in some cases (like the UK). That's just what I'm getting from it.

I know that if you work in the UK and are a US citizen, you only pay taxes if you earn over a certain amount (this was confirmed with an accountant).

^^ see, I've been filing my taxes (US expat) but I don't have to pay the IRS unless I make over 92k USD (lol). Still have to file if you earn over the filing threshold which is whatever, 7k? and it's a huge PITA. US is annoying in that, AFAIK, they are the only country to make it's citizens do that.

You can have dual citizenship, but the US changes it's stance on it every few years it seems. Right now they seem ok with it, as long as the other country is (my dd is a dual citizen of US and NZ). I am friends with a guy who had issues getting dual Italian/US citizenship 15ish years ago though because the US wasn't going to allow it after a point, but now they do. :shrug:
I think the 18 year old declaration thing is for people who aren't citizens by descent. I worked with a guy who's parents were from Poland. He was born there, but then they moved to the US and became naturalized citizens when he was 1. He had until a certain point to decide if he wanted to go for US citizenship (based on his parents) or stay a Polish citizen.

I even confirmed if I had to file or not and they said no :shrug: Ah well, it's no biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->