Obstetric Cholestasis :(

Breeelizabeth

Reaction score
Last week I mentioned to my obstetrician that I was always itchy and that my skin feels like it’s on fire. My HG has kicked off again (mostly just puking bile) and I’ve been having issues when it comes to bleeding and not being able to stop (like nose bleeds, bleeding gums, lips and mouth etc.)

I went back for the results of my blood work today and the first thing my doctor said was “there’s no major problems and my iron levels are responding well to the infusion.” At the time he seemed to be looking at the screen pretty intently and asked a couple of times to chec that my test had been done a week ago. I told him I was managing with the itchiness and went on my way.

Fifteen minutes later he called my mobile and said he’d spoken to the head obstetrician at one of the big maternity hospitals and I had to start on Ursofalk straight away - three times a day and if things improved it would confirm the diagnosis of OC. He then called me back a few hours later to let me know he’d found out how expensive the medication was ($160!!) and that he’d sourced it for me from the hospital pharmacy for free.

I’m so confused how I went from “no major concerns” to three tablets a day for the rest of my pregnancy in the space of 15 minutes. Now I’m worried that I’ll have complications and that baby will need to be delivered early.

Can you have OC and have blood work that doesn’t really show it’s severe? I’m guessing something showed up or he was concerned to have even called the other OB anyway.

How far a long are you? A lot of doctors have never seen it. At my hospital they have to send the blood away to even get it tested! I'd call back and want some answers and what your bile levels were. Im not sure with the medication, as i was close to 36 weeks and never started them cause it takes 2 weeks to kick in and i was induced because of OC, but I'm not sure if the medicine makes it go away and if it doesnt, then you need to get stress test done and other things... I'd call back. Not a lot of info on something that can be serious!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->