Occassional Category C use in pregnancy

parker

Reaction score
I am really torn about using Category C meds. I've had a few medical issues, mostly in second trimester, and my doctors have given me Cat C medicine. What they've told me is a) short-term use of many Category C meds is okay, and b) especially once you're past the first half of pregnancy.

Has anyone else been told this by their doctors too? I'm only taken the medicines as-needed and at lower doses when I can. I feel guilty as well because I take Category B medicines every day as well.

Just scared I'm going to mess up this baby, but I trust the doctors too & I really have needed the medicine. I wish we had more research on this to ease the minds of pregnant ladies. I'm trying to reassure myself that occassional use of Cat C likely won't cause any problems, especially later in pregnancy.

Has anyone else been told something similar or different?

Personally, I would have a look on google scholar and find out what the exact risks are. Some may increase pre term labour, but others are associated with birth defects whoch you are at less risk of past first tri.

You also need to weigh up the risks of not taking the medicine.

I have Crohn's disease, and take medication every day to prevent a flare up (where my intestines get inflamed, I become ill, lose weight, risk of malnourishment). The medication is a cat C.

However, after researching the drug myself I found that the category was based on ONE study, and more recent studies have demonstrated no additional risk. Also the risk was an increase in early miscarriage rates rather than birth defects etc.

Generally, doctors (and my own research :)) agree that the risks involved with a flare up are worse than the risks with this drug. So I am continuing to take it.

I'm a care lawyer and many of my clients take non prescription drugs throughout their pregnancy and only heroin users appear to have problems. Listen to your dr, if they say take the meds, trust them. Just don't be stupid n take non prescription drugs!!!

update: my son is 4 now, zero issues! Above average cognitively, absolutely no health or behavioral issues.

I also took some cat c prescriptions with my daughter too, she is 2 and perfectly healthy.

Wanted to update anyone who might be worried and stumble on this thread!

Wow, thanks for the update! I just realized that the original post was four years old. Back in the 50's and 60's our grandmothers were probably smoking like chimneys and drinking a nightcap daily while preggo. We all worry (especially us first timers) doing one little thing wrong will damage our babies, it is good to hear your success story.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"