Occupational Therapy

BabyJ'sMummy

Reaction score
Does anyone know what happens during an OT assessment? DS had his assessment at CAMHS for ASD and although they don't believe he has this they think he may have some difficulties with his motor skills so have referred to OT for assessment. xx

Getting hold of an OT in the UK is a nightmare. My son has been on the waiting list since December and still no appointment now :( So just be prepared for the long wait!

He's been referred before and they turned us down but this time it's through CAMHS and they're backdating his referral to when he had his CAMHS assessment in March. I also know the head paediatric OT's secretary so I'm hoping she makes sure we're not forgotten about. We've been told the waiting time is about 4/5 months in our area at the mo, so hopefully not much longer :) I hope you don't have to wait much longer either! xx

We go to ot once a month.

I can't exactly remember what we did on our first visit but they will likely want to see if he can do little puzzles, how he holds a pencil, can he do threading beads, those type of things x

My situation is different as Thomas has an OT for his ears/hypo plastic thumb. She looks him over, asks how he's been doing, exercises his thumb, checks to see if his ears are ok (the tops didn't form properly so they needed folding over and they were stuck out too far so he had them pinned for 3 months). He also gets photos taken of his thumb/ears to compare to past photos.

I should imagine that it will be similar to what Thomas' developmental doctor does with him, little puzzles, see what he can do with certain objects (cups, cars), ask him to speak if he can etc.

I work with a boy with motor skills difficulties. We often have the OT in with him. Generally we work on puzzles, threading large beads, putting on a jumper, buttoning his shirt, holding a pencil correctly (and drawing straight lines on a day where his grip is good) and hand exercises eg touching each finger with his thumb, scrunching and stretching hands or rolling play-doh

He is 5 though so may be a little older than your lo.

I work with a boy with motor skills difficulties. We often have the OT in with him. Generally we work on puzzles, threading large beads, putting on a jumper, buttoning his shirt, holding a pencil correctly (and drawing straight lines on a day where his grip is good) and hand exercises eg touching each finger with his thumb, scrunching and stretching hands or rolling play-doh

He is 5 though so may be a little older than your lo.

Thanks, that's really helpful, I'll try some of those with him. I think the only ones he can do just now are threading beads and rolling play doh. He's never really been able to do the actions to twinkle twinkle so it's quite interesting that you've mention the scrunching and stretching hands xx

Happy to help :)
We started rolling play doh 'sausages' on the table (both hands moving same way) then once he mastered that moved on to doing it between two hands (hands going opposite ways). Scrunching the play doh helps too. It's a bit messy but it's fun :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->