Occupy Wall Street - revolution? Or just another protest?

Sarahkka

Mama to Two Fine Boys!
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on this movement?
I find it so interesting that there is no leader and no specific agenda, and yet such a huge number of people are participating.
Anyone else have any thoughts or insight?

I think it's great. People from all walks of life coming together to show their unhappiness about what happens to our money. It's spreading across the rest of the world too. I have the feeling this will spark some major changes.

I love the anonymous movement too - things need to change drastically and protests like these are what will make them happen :thumbup:

To add: I'm happy that so many are now realising we shouldn't have to bend over and take whatever the government throws at us. Maybe they don't know what is best any more. Times change and so should the way governments work. This archaic system is failing too many now. And having that view no longer makes someone an anarchist with outlandish ideas, but simply against capitalism.l, which in my view is the worst 'ism' ever.

It's just another protest, my husband is a mortgage broker and his industry has already been hit drastically as it is, so no I don't agree with it, I think its a misplaced protest, brokers are the ones that get hit the most out of this when they're only the middle men they can only offer whats on the market they're not plucking sums out of the sky- the banks and the person seeking a product from the bank are to blame for the silly lending in the past, I hate that people who know nothing about it are lashing out at people just doing their job :shrug:

It's just another protest, my husband is a mortgage broker and his industry has already been hit drastically as it is, so no I don't agree with it, I think its a misplaced protest, brokers are the ones that get hit the most out of this when they're only the middle men they can only offer whats on the market they're not plucking sums out of the sky- the banks and the person seeking a product from the bank are to blame for the silly lending in the past, I hate that people who know nothing about it are lashing out at people just doing their job :shrug:

It's not necessarily the brokers they're protesting about. It's about money in general - taxes and what they fund, risky business dealings and the fact that banks have enormous influence over governments. Several politicians in the past have admitted that the Rothschilds have the power because they have the money. That is wrong on so many levels :nope:

I work for a bank too, that doesn't mean I am blind to the issues they create :shrug: it's just a way to pay the bills!

Some interesting reads:

https://www.thegic.org/profiles/blogs/first-official-statement-from-occupy-wall-street
https://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...cupying-wall-street-not-just-your-average-joe

It's not necessarily the brokers they're protesting about. It's about money in general - taxes and what they fund, risky business dealings and the fact that banks have enormous influence over governments. Several politicians in the past have admitted that the Rothschilds have the power because they have the money. That is wrong on so many levels :nope:

I work for a bank too, that doesn't mean I am blind to the issues they create :shrug: it's just a way to pay the bills!

my point is though thats who suffers in the end, the majority not the minority which owns all the major companies and banks, they're safe either way, all the workers in the sector will take the brunt, its their wages that will get cut not the big workers at the top :( thats the bit I don't like about it that they can still get away it either way

my point is though thats who suffers in the end, the majority not the minority which owns all the major companies and banks, they're safe either way, all the workers in the sector will take the brunt, its their wages that will get cut not the big workers at the top :( thats the bit I don't like about it that they can still get away it either way

And that is why I believe it's a revolution. The movement won't be satisfied with pay cuts; they want much more than that. This is my favourite image about it...

https://www.imgur.com/IOiyj.jpg

ETA... It's caring about and loving people but making a stand about corporate greed.

Just a protest. The spin off protests seem dangerous. Occupy Dallas doesn't even know what they're doing and in Washington they attacked a security guard for the air and space museum when they tried to push their way in to protest *cough*destroyexhibits*cough*

Well, I think it's much bigger than a (very) few protesters who are behaving badly.
I thought this was an interesting summary:
https://amymacpherson.wordpress.com/2011/10/11/the-occupy-movement-a-detailed-explanation/

Is anyone planning to join their local Occupy demonstration this Saturday?

Well, I think it's much bigger than a (very) few protesters who are behaving badly.
I thought this was an interesting summary:
https://amymacpherson.wordpress.com/2011/10/11/the-occupy-movement-a-detailed-explanation/

Is anyone planning to join their local Occupy demonstration this Saturday?

I'll be going if I can find a way to get there :thumbup:

I think some of their demands are absolutely ridiculous and hypocritical.

For example, forgive college debt? BS! I chose to attend a mediocre college where I can work 48 hours a week to PAY for my OWN college education. If my peers are heading off to some fancy out-of-state school to major in something like poetry or history, wind up $80k in debt, and can't find a top paying job straight out of college, it's their own damned faults. Why weren't these kids working while they were in college? Or choosing a less expensive college to attend? I have quite a few friends who I graduated with in high school who are majoring in art and liberal arts...at some 10k/year out-of-state school. God have mercy on them when they graduate.

Also..down with "evil corporations?" Serious? Guess where your iPhone comes from. Steve Jobs, a capitalist, owned Apple, a giant corporation.

These people are having sex in sleeping bags in the street and defecating on police cars. They are unorganized. Like a country without a leader, or a team without uniforms. Everyone is heading in different directions, hoping they'll end up at the finish point together. Are they just protesting their feelings? I can't take those types of people seriously.

I work hard, pay my taxes, I don't expect handouts and freebies from the government, and I'm proud.

Nope it is just another protest. To be honest I am not sure that they themselves all know why they are there.

Nope it is just another protest. To be honest I am not sure that they themselves all know why they are there.

I agree with this, all of the protesters interviewed have no idea what their "demands" are, just looks like 90% of them are attention seekers who want to protest for the sake of protesting, look at me I'm so cool I have a cool picket, down with corporation or something like that"

I don't think it's a revolution, but I do think it is indicative of the anger felt by so many people about the recession/depression. I am one of those that think it is truly wrong that not one single person has been arrested in relation to the crisis and I support the protesters wholeheartedly.

It's just a protest. There's no leadership, no actual goal. There are a lot of different people, who want a lot of different things to change. And that won't actually change anything. Regulation changes things. Laws change things. Politicians can (although they usually don't) change things. The protesters should be turning their attention to those things, altering regulation, laws, and getting different politicians elected. I do think they have a few good, solid points, but just sitting in the streets, chanting snarky one-liners, won't actually change anything.

Is it a similar protest like the London one?!?

Although I wonder actually who are these people who turn up, the anti capitalisist and anarchists... Funny enough none ofthem seem to work so I wonder where their money is coming from?! The governments that they're protesting about!!!

They did an ariel heat camera over the tents outside the cathedral, showed that over 50% of the tents were not even occupied overnight. Probably all tucked up in thier houses payed for the housing benifit!!

And about the steve jobs thing.. One of the protesters was clearly talking to
someone on an I phone last week... It's a fricking apple product, one of the largest companies in the world right now you moron!!! Why not show yourself on tv promoting tge one thing your protesting against!!

It's just a protest. There's no leadership, no actual goal. There are a lot of different people, who want a lot of different things to change. And that won't actually change anything. Regulation changes things. Laws change things. Politicians can (although they usually don't) change things. The protesters should be turning their attention to those things, altering regulation, laws, and getting different politicians elected. I do think they have a few good, solid points, but just sitting in the streets, chanting snarky one-liners, won't actually change anything.

To me, that is why it's the start of a revolution :shrug:

I think some of their demands are absolutely ridiculous and hypocritical.

For example, forgive college debt? BS! I chose to attend a mediocre college where I can work 48 hours a week to PAY for my OWN college education. If my peers are heading off to some fancy out-of-state school to major in something like poetry or history, wind up $80k in debt, and can't find a top paying job straight out of college, it's their own damned faults. Why weren't these kids working while they were in college? Or choosing a less expensive college to attend? I have quite a few friends who I graduated with in high school who are majoring in art and liberal arts...at some 10k/year out-of-state school. God have mercy on them when they graduate.

Also..down with "evil corporations?" Serious? Guess where your iPhone comes from. Steve Jobs, a capitalist, owned Apple, a giant corporation.

These people are having sex in sleeping bags in the street and defecating on police cars. They are unorganized. Like a country without a leader, or a team without uniforms. Everyone is heading in different directions, hoping they'll end up at the finish point together. Are they just protesting their feelings? I can't take those types of people seriously.

I work hard, pay my taxes, I don't expect handouts and freebies from the government, and I'm proud.

these days, it is either McDonald or college. living off of minimum wage while trying to follow every laws out there and be a good citizen (especially when you don't want them to call the law or social service on you so you need to pay rent, food, taxes, etc.) AND keeping up with the society is not easy. people can't get decent jobs these days without competing with those with college education. I afraid education have became a higher standard. Just like how kindergarten became a standard or even high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->